Student Spotlight: Hugo Sandoval

Hugo Sandoval Headshot

Hugo Sandoval

Topics of Interest: APC Collective, Support Latino Business, Business & Politics, Tech, RISE,

Hugo Sandoval is a junior in the Canfield Business Honors Program. This past summer, he spent his time working with APC Collective, a communications agency that helps clients increase their reach, relationships, and positive impact: “I’ve been interested in politics and tech for most of my life, and my love for business grew in college.” Hugo is also involved with RISE, a mentorship organization that teaches underserved high school students skills in financial literacy, entrepreneurship, and college.

Read on to learn more about Hugo’s internship experiences and some of his advice for students interested in pursuing a career in politics and business!

Tell us about yourself. 

My name is Hugo Sandoval, and I was born in San Antonio but raised in El Paso. I am the eldest of four siblings, and my family has two dogs. I enjoy exercising, playing basketball, and reading when I’m not in class. This is my second year in RISE, and I work with this organization as a co-director. My responsibilities include overseeing two weekly mentoring sessions at local high schools in Austin, where we teach the students business fundamentals, financial literacy, and soft skills.

Can you talk about your interest in politics, business, and tech?

I’ve been interested in politics and tech for most of my life, and my love for business grew in college. In the US, business and tech play a massive role in public discourse and policy. I believe that you need to understand a bit of all three to get a complete picture of our political system. Because of this interest, I learned about APC Collective through a friend and sent them my resume.

What were some of the responsibilities of your internship with APC Collective this past summer?

I spent my summer working with Support Latino Business, the nonprofit branch of APC Collective. During my internship, I maintained daily correspondence with the mayor’s offices across the US to secure proclamations for Support Latino Business Day. I also coordinated and executed numerous grant contests for small businesses. Finally, I was the editor of a monthly newsletter and created content/graphics for social events.

What was your favorite part about your internship experience?

My favorite part about my internship was being able to work on many different projects throughout the day. From the get-go, my manager gave me all the independence to get my work done, which I appreciated. 

What was your biggest takeaway?

As I mentioned, I enjoyed working on several projects at once during my internship. However, my biggest takeaway was that working in dynamic environments is challenging but incredibly rewarding. I was very satisfied with my work because I felt like I was contributing to APC Collective in a meaningful way. Throughout this internship, I learned that long-term, consistent efforts can lead you to great results.

Do you have any advice for students interested in that intersection of politics and business?

My biggest piece of advice would be to explore the synergies between politics and business to understand where you might be able to find your niche. There are countless opportunities to create a positive impact through your work; you just have to go out and find it.