The McCombs School of Business BBA Advisory Board is proud to present the Student Rising Star Award to Veshal Arul Prakash. This award is given to a student who has proven an established commitment to service within the McCombs School through outstanding scholarship and achievements and exemplary leadership and community involvement. Veshal is a senior in the Canfield Business Honors Program (CBHP) and he is also the recipient of the R. Conrad Doenges Award for Academic Excellence and Leadership in the CBHP, which is presented to one graduating senior in CBHP each year, and is selected by CBHP faculty members and peers.

The selection committee for the Student Rising Star Award feels Veshal is a great representation of what leadership looks like at McCombs and they are confident he will make a difference at the university beyond his years as an undergraduate student. Following graduation, Veshal will serve a one-year term on the McCombs BBA Advisory Board. Congratulations, Veshal!

Learn more about Veshal in the below Q & A.

Why did you choose UT/McCombs?

I decided to attend UT Austin and McCombs for several reasons: the quality of the McCombs education, the opportunities I had access to, and its proximity to my home in the Austin suburbs.

When I was deciding between universities to attend as a senior in high school, I remember watching some sample lectures by McCombs professors on YouTube that completely sold me on the program! Participating in an official student visit only further validated my interest in the university. While touring the campus, I discovered different avenues through which I could get involved on campus, like intramurals, student organizations, volunteering, football games, and more. What surprised me the most during the visit was that there were over a thousand student organizations on campus! Once I learned that, I was extremely curious about what UT had to offer, beyond just the academic and professional opportunities. Staying in Austin only made the choice easier for me. Prior to moving to Austin in 2009, my family moved nine times, but we were so glad to have settled in this wonderful city – our most favorite city!

What has been your favorite part of the McCombs experience?

I am struggling to pick just one favorite McCombs experience, so I got two that I would like to share!

I absolutely enjoyed McCombs Kickoff from my freshman year. I still vividly remember what I did that day and the people I met, as if it had happened not too long ago! I was fortunate to meet some of my best friends there, while also being inspired by other’s stories and interests. Everyone was so warm and friendly. Going on the boat ride and playing fun games at Main Event made it even more memorable!

Veshal Arul Prakash Abroad in MadridBesides McCombs Kickoff, another highlight of my college career was the McCombs BBA   spring exchange program in Madrid during my junior year! I became close friends with other exchange students, and it was fascinating learning about their backgrounds, grabbing dinner together, and visiting different parts of Madrid. Other than traveling, one of my most memorable moments there was when our Uber driver hiked with my group of friends and myself at the end of our ride to visit an ancient castle ruin.

There is so much more, but I will have to write for a couple weeks straight to cover everything!

What are your plans after graduation?

I will be starting at Dropbox in Seattle this fall, as part of their New-Grad Product Manager cohort. In this upcoming role, I look forward to working with engineering, design, and business teams to launch high-quality product experiences that simplify the way people collaborate.

Throughout my college career, I explored different industries and functions by doing several internships. In the process, I learned my strengths, weaknesses, and interests. I realized that I have an innate curiosity about technology products, an eagerness to work with people of different backgrounds, and a desire to solve problems. That is how I got introduced to product management in the tech industry.

This was only made possible because of the rigor of UT’s and McCombs’ education, my supportive peers, mentors, parents, and some luck. Thank you for everything, and Hook’ em!