Mario Barrett received his MBA in 2014 after being an officer in the Army. Here he shares his experience shifting from the Army to the business world and highlights his career path as an entrepreneur. Mario frequently volunteers at McCombs and loves connecting with fellow Longhorns. Thank you for your continued relationship with the Alumni Network, Mario!  

Tell us about your experience as a student here at McCombs. 

Prior to attending McCombs, I was an Army officer. I knew I wanted to enter the business world and figured an MBA was the best way to do that. A bunch of factors went into my choosing McCombs — location, entrepreneur program ranking, strength of Texas economy, and being a native Texan. When I finally got to McCombs and met my fellow classmates, I knew I made the right choice. I was heavily involved in the Adam Smith Society and Entrepreneur Society — both of which played a profound influence on my time at McCombs and introduced me to interesting individuals who challenged my typical way of thinking (I’d say this held true for most people I met). It’s hard for me to really pick a favorite class, but one of my favorite teachers was Professor Doggett. I loved the way he challenged students to give real answers (no MBA jargon) and made an effort to take them out of their comfort zone. 

How did your educational experience change you? 

I definitely gained a solid foundation in “business basics.” The Army can teach you about time management and leadership, but you aren’t reading balance sheets. My experience also demystified the entire process behind starting a business or what it meant to have a “real job” as I’d refer to it in the Army. I realized that people in the business world were mostly the same as the Army, just with a different mission. 

Please provide a brief summary of your career path since graduating. 

I’d like to consider my career path out of McCombs anything but ordinary! I graduated and took a job with Deloitte Consulting, but had almost a year between graduation and my start date. So instead of taking time off, I started a subscription box company. Surprisingly, the company grew and I was able to hand off most of the operations by the time I started at Deloitte. After two years at Deloitte, I made the decision to leave and join Cratejoy, the world’s largest subscription box marketplace to help lead new seller growth and success. 

What are you most proud of in your career so far? 

I was able to take an idea and very little money and turn it into a growing, profitable business that I was eventually able to sell.  

Has your career played out the way you expected?  

No way! To be honest, I did not know what to expect after leaving school. I still think I’m finding out what I want to be when I grow up. 

How have you stayed involved with the school as an alumnus?  

I always volunteer to come back to McCombs to chat with new students interested in entrepreneurship or veteran students looking to transition into the business world. These are my favorite events to participate in. 

How have you personally benefitted from being a part of the network? 

The network has done a lot for me! The biggest benefit of McCombs is that I have a diverse set of professionals I can leverage if I ever have a question. Someone is always out there who has “done it” and is willing to help a fellow grad. I’ve stayed very close to several of my classmates in different industries and always leverage them for advice, guidance, or motivation.  

What are your goals for the future, career wise and in relation to McCombs? 

I plan on starting another business or buying a business in Austin. Regardless of the path, I want to continue to stay involved in events at McCombs and mentor or give back to any students looking to pursue a life in entrepreneurship. 

Any other community involvement, hobbies or tidbits you’d like to share?  

Yes! If you or anyone you know is selling a business in Austin, let’s talk!