A Black man smiles for the camera

Matthew Parson, MBA ’20

When Matthew Parson, MBA ’20, began pursuing his master’s degree, it was more than just a way to improve his career prospects. It was an opportunity to carry on a family legacy.

“Both my father and uncle earned their MBAs from McCombs,” he said. “So, it holds a special place in our family tradition.”

Matthew moved to Austin from Dallas Texas, for work with government relations within the Texas A&M University System, but quickly applied  – and was accepted – to the McCombs Texas Evening MBA program, which he says was an ideal fit for his career ambitions. Being part of the TEMBA program also provided ample opportunities for Matthew to hone his leadership and entrepreneurial skills as president of the Consulting Club and as part of Jon Brumley Texas Venture Labs.

“The Venture Labs shaped many of my future plans,” he said. “It gave me exposure to the possibilities of entrepreneurship.”

The Evening MBA program is one of five pathways for working professionals to advance their education and their careers. Additional programs include Weekend MBA at Houston and MBA at Dallas/Ft. Worth, Full-time MBA, and Executive MBA. The programs combine classroom education with real-world business practice scenarios.

After spending the first half of his career in the public sector, Matthew found his time at McCombs shored up his passion for higher education. Today, he is the Assistant Commissioner for Workforce Innovation at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

“I’m continuing to channel my expertise and dedication into shaping the future of higher education in our great state,” he said. “My journey has been marked by a commitment to public service, and a deep passion for advancing educational opportunities for all Texans.”

Recently, Matthew joined the McCombs MBA Advisory Board, where he is passionately giving back to the school he says “has given me so much.” When asked why it’s important for him to invest his time as part of the McCombs volunteer leadership, he says it’s just how he’s built.

“Community is at the center of purpose for me,” he said. “It’s important to provide a place where individuals can find respite, support, and the occasional glass of wine, a way to connect with others in a casual environment.”