A group of students smiles at the camera.

Students interacting – various locations 2016
All students have signed model releases on file.

When former First Lady of Texas Rita C. Clements passed away in 2018, she left a legacy as big as the state itself, including a deep and abiding love for The University of Texas at Austin. She served as a Regent for the UT System under Governors Rick Perry and George W. Bush from 1996-2007, among numerous other high-profile volunteer roles. As part of her estate, which was left entirely to charity, the Rita C. Clements Endowed Graduate Fellowship in Business was established to provide a pathway for McCombs MBA students. This, along with 80 other similar fellowships, offer graduate students the opportunities that could otherwise be out of reach, making them an integral part of the program.

Two of Clements’ daughters, Bonnie Smith, MBA’82 and Barbara Joan Bass Moroney, MBA’83, are both McCombs graduates. “UT was very important to my mother, and she spent a lot of time there,” said Bonnie. “And I thoroughly enjoyed McCombs. I thought it was an incredible program. It really equipped me for my career and life.”

In this spirit, the trustees for the Rita C. Crocker Clements Foundation granted the McCombs School with an MBA Fellowship. A formidable woman in life, Bonnie says the most impressive thing about her mother was that she left her estate entirely to charity. “I wish a lot of people would do that,” she said.

Tina Mabley, Assistant Dean for the Full Time MBA Program at McCombs, says this type of support plays a pivotal role in creating an academic atmosphere where bright minds are inspired, shaped, and encouraged to change the world.

“These forms of financial support are vital in attracting and retaining top-tier students from various backgrounds, cultures and experiences,” she said.

A family of four smiles at the camera.

Scott Mattei, MBA ’95, (pictured with his family) established the J. Scott Mattei Endowed MBA Scholarship

Scott Mattei, MBA ’95, President of Mattei Holdings, established the J. Scott Mattei Endowed MBA Scholarship to provide non-resident, MBA students with the chance to attend McCombs’ high-caliber program. It was important to him to provide a merit-based scholarship that also accounted for those with financial need.

“I believe an endowed scholarship by its nature allows for students to be able to rely on these funds their entire time spent at UT,” he said. “The certainty of this takes away some of the financial hurdles for students so they can focus on their personal growth and education.”

For Nora Moriarty, current MBA student, receiving the James A. Elkins, III Endowed Presidential Fellowship in Finance made all the difference in her ability to make the most of her McCombs experience. “Having an MBA scholarship lowered the cost of tuition and therefore gave me a lot more time to network with my peers, attend student organization events, and immerse myself in the McCombs culture,” she said.

The scholarship was established in memory of James A. Elkins, III, MBA ’76, following an illustrious banking career and a legacy of civic and cultural volunteerism. The endowed fellowship supports graduate students with an interest in finance.

Kevin Long, MBA ’25, conceived and cultivated his idea for heated outdoor furniture while a McCombs student supported by the Katie May Endowed Excellence Fund in Entrepreneurship, established to support graduate students who choose to work on their ventures during the summer.

“I co-founded Outmore Living with one of my classmates during my first year at McCombs,” he said. “[My scholarship] allowed me to forgo a traditional summer internship and focus completely on our company during the summer. I am confident that Outmore Living would not be in the position that we are in today without the work we spend that summer, and we have the Katie May Endowed Excellence Fund to thank for enabling that work.”

A man with blonde hair smiles at the camera.

Kevin Long, MBA ’25, is using his scholarship to pursue his advanced degree while launching his outdoor furniture business, Outmore.

Endowed fellowships range in size, beginning at $100,000 or more, and can influence if and where a student pursues their advanced degree.

For Peiying Wu, her fellowship allowed her to focus her energy in higher education.

“Quitting my full-time job to [complete] an MBA was not an easy decision for me, an international student,” she said. “I wanted to make a career pivot, but it was a high-stakes decision. Without the scholarship, I would not have been able to comfortably take on this challenge.”

During her time at McCombs, she was able to participate in a short-term exchange program at Tel Aviv University in Israel, opening her eyes to the possibilities in the global tech sector. Today, she has a career in tech product management.

“Providing support for students from across the globe enhances the reputation of McCombs’ MBA program,” said Rodrigo Malta, Managing Director of MBA Recruiting and Admissions. “That broad, diverse, and accomplished talent enriches the academic discourse, fosters dynamic learning environments, and prepares students to thrive in a globalized world. By offering scholarships and fellowships, Texas McCombs attracts some of the brightest minds from around the world.”

Scholarship funding at the graduate level can increase the quality and diversity of our enrolled students and help McCombs yield a better percentage of our outstanding applicants.

While McCombs’ tuition rates are lower than many private and other large state universities, those other schools have more funding to offer competitive fellowship packages.

75% of Texas McCombs’ admitted full-time MBA students receive some fellowship funding, ranging from a minimum of $5,000 to full-tuition awards of $50,000+. The average award to McCombs MBA students is $22,000, far less than peer schools’ averages of $35,000 or more.

To learn about how to establish a scholarship or fellowship, contact the McCombs Development Office at development@mccombs.utexas.edu.