Civic Duties of an MPA Student

by Paul Nabhan

GO VOTE!

Election day is right around the corner. With such political turbulence best compared to that which was accumulating during Antebellum, and with more opportunities to vote than before, it is essential to go make your voice heard.

First, though, some quick notes.

Congratulations to the Texas Rangers

The Texas Rangers advanced to the World Series for the first time in franchise history on Friday.

I admit that I do not follow baseball as closely as football or basketball; however, what an amazing achievement it is for this year’s Texas Rangers to reach the World Series for the first time in franchise history! (Against the New York Yankees, no less.) Congratulations, and I look forward to supporting the Rangers starting Wednesday.

Happy Belated Birthday to Coach John Wooden
Coach John Wooden of UCLA passed away during the summer at the age of 99; he would have turned 100 on October 14. Some of his achievements you’ll find in an almanac–such as seven consecutive NCAA championships. Nevertheless, his greatest achievements are probably off the record. Wooden’s character and discipline were of epic proportion; known for his proverbs (“Woodenisms”) and his Pyramid of Success, Coach never swore and would take the time to teach his players to put their socks on correctly on the first day of practice every year.

His example that character and discipline was indeed good enough to win championships–and in unprecedented fashion–serves as a model and is the reason that I revere and respect Wooden so long after he last coached a game.

Still Undecided on a FAS of the Week Segment
Still no decision on this yet, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of hype out there for it anyway.

Anyway, onto the mid-term elections.

Why should I care about voting in the mid-term elections-I’m just a regular MPA student?

True, we’re just students, and I realize that it’s just one vote. Nevertheless, it’s exactly that attitude that prevents a thousand votes from showing up. 

But Paul, I’m just an accountant; how does this concern me?
We are not just accountants. Here are three reasons why we as MPAs need to show up and vote:

1. We are respected members of the community. There is a lot of responsibility that goes into being an MPA from The University of Texas. It is the No. 1 program in the country, so we need to personify that. Being active in civil duty is important in doing so. As an MPA, you are a respected member of the community and are sought after for your professional judgment. We must not be afraid to set the example so that others may follow.

2. Congress passes laws that businesses must follow. Ever heard of Sarbanes-Oxley? We need to be aware of the political tide, especially how it may affect how companies conduct business and, consequently, how it affects or even changes the role of accountants and auditors.

3. The “right” to vote is really a privilege. We must be careful to ensure that our “government of the people, by the people, [and] for the people” is not taken for granted, lest it “perish from the earth.” While the United States is a hybrid of democracy and a republic, it is clear that the intended source of authority from which our government rules has always been from the people; thus, we should joyously undertake in the opportunity to choose who represents us to the Congress, rather than view it as burden. (Sound crazy? 100 years ago, we didn’t vote for senators! That means the American people felt it necessary to demand that senators be chosen directly for a reason.)

Okay. Okay. So who are you voting for?
I’m not going to say. It’s really no one’s business. I’m just here to say that it’s my opinion that as role models (since we’re MPAs), we should go out and vote.

Hmmm…Fair Enough.
Yeah, I think so too.

And with that, I present my
Five “OMG-that did NOT just happen in an election” Moments

(Disclaimer: I am aware that all my examples come from Presidential elections, but that’s when the real action happens, so that’s where I took my plugs from! I’m just trying to put you in the mood. Aperitif? Oui, s’il vous plait!)

Moment: Lloyd Bentsen Rips Dan Quayle
A classic moment in debate history, Dan Quayle actually compared himself to John F. Kennedy-yes, that John Kennedy.  Lloyd Bentsen, well, disagreed.

Moment: Ross Perot on Experience
This may be my favorite. When asked what a lack of governmental experience may mean, Perot charismatically pointed it out.

Moment: Dan Quayle…Again
People who think Sarah Palin may have been a dubious choice for vice-president need to know that Quayle actually won in 1989–a blow to spelling enthusiasts everywhere!

Moment: If Ted Doesn’t Know Why, Then Neither Do We
A long eloquent response to a question, and it was never really answered. One thing is trying to ramble like this on an exam, but if you’re running for president, you should know why you want that job!

Moment: Stay in Your Own Corner
This video probably doesn’t truly capture the moment, but Ford and Carter just stood there for about half an hour without saying much after experiencing technical difficulties. This makes awkward pauses in interviews seem trivial.

More?

Yeah, but on the bright side, you get to hear people other than me talk, which is usually a good thing! Here are three talks that still ring out to me because of how tangible and precious the concept of freedom was and still is: 

Reagan at the 1964 RNC
This may be Reagan at his best. He probably won the 1980 election here.

Kennedy’s Inauguration
This is Kennedy’s reminder of how important freedom is and how we should be proactive instead of dependent in its pursuit.

The Kitchen Debate
Khrushchev and Nixon go at it, with Khrushchev demonstrating how the Soviets will wave “good-bye” to the U.S. as it surpasses us technologically. Nixon would later reach détente with Brezhnev, leading to nuclear arms reductions.

Last Thoughts
One of my favorite Woodenisms is “Have utmost concern for what’s right rather than who’s right.” As we continue forward in our daily lives and careers, I feel that keeping this proverb in mind will give us the ability to make prudent decisions when interacting with others. Only commitment to good principles can help us achieve a level decision-making that is rich with ethics and free from predisposition. This is especially crucial to accountants who are supposed to remain objective. Keep this in mind as you head to the polls.