School: The To-Do List that Never Ends

by Jarrett Cocharo

If your fall schedule is anything like mine is right now, it is getting ridiculously out of control. Your ability to manage time, prioritize and switch things around will be tested to the max your first semester in the MPA program. Let me detail the assignments that are due these next two weeks (please keep in mind that this does not include any daily reading assignments for each class).

Tuesday, October 26: Third part of Internal Audit Project due

Wednesday, October 27: Managerial Accounting Homework due

Thursday, October 28: Intermediate Accounting Test, Internal Audit Case due, Internal Audit Quiz

Monday, November 1: Managerial Accounting Homework due

Tuesday, November 2: Intermediate Accounting Case due, Internal Audit Quiz

Wednesday, November 3: Managerial Accounting Homework due, Intermediate Accounting Homework due

Thursday, November 4: Internal Audit Quiz

Now let’s add another layer of complexity to this schedule. Amongst the endless reading, doing homework and studying for tests, I have to set up group meetings to finish the above case assignments as well as start planning for some projects that are coming due in November and December. And if you thought that was not complex enough, wait until I tell you how much school I’ll be missing. If you are recruiting (for public accounting) in the fall, you can expect to miss about a week of school going to office visits (which, if you’re reading this, you are ahead of the curve and will have your pick of office visits to attend). For me, I will be attending office visits Nov. 1 through Nov. 5.

If there is a silver lining about this schedule, you will notice there is one day of the workweek that is missing. FRIDAY! Unless you plan to take Fraud Examination, most classes in the MPA program will meet Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. I do caution, however, not to let a classless Friday trip you up. You must use this free day to get in a couple hours of work at least.

As I said in my previous post, there is a lot of work in your classes. Not only is the quantity of work expected high, the quality expectation is set high also. The program is just demanding, and there is no way around that. I have definitely had to readjust my attitude toward maintaining that coveted 4.0 GPA. The great thing about the professors is that they are genuinely interested in making an effort to make sure you get the result you want out of a class. This can include covering interesting and relevant topics, maintaining a healthy level of discussion in the classroom, and, of course, helping you get the grade you want (keep in mind, though, you still have to have the gusto to work hard). When you think about it, our professors’ success is directly tied to our success. If we learn a lot and excel not only in the classroom but also in our jobs, it sends a positive message to employers that this program is a good program.

I hope I’m not scaring anyone away, but I think a healthy level of honesty can go a long way to making sure you find the right fit when looking at graduate schools. Having only attending two institutions of higher education (The University of Alabama for my undergraduate degree and now UT for my MPA degree) I can’t compare my experience here with many other programs. I can, however, tell you that this program will teach you a lot. You will work a lot. And most importantly, you may actually have some fun doing it (that is, if you’re a nerd like me).

6 thoughts on “School: The To-Do List that Never Ends”

1. So how do you manage the job interviews with all those quizzes and homework assignments? Will your teachers cut you a little slack?

2. Jarrett,

Thank you for being honest about the work load. Every one must know what they are getting into. I’ve tutored students from mccombs and must admit that you have a high quality program! The additional work is worth it.

3. @Cory: Most professors build in structures into their grading systems to compensate for missed assignments. For example, my internal audit professor drops the four lowest daily quiz grades and my intermediate accounting professor drops your two lowest homework grades. I try to get some of my work done in advance to turn in either in class or electronically. Additionally, you can always go to your professor to ask for a possible extension on a particular assignment. The worst thing they will say is no. It can’t hurt to ask.

4. I understand the time requirement for each person and each class will vary, but can you tell me….in one week. Roughly how many hours do you spend on school. By school I mean sitting in class, doing homework, attending group meetings, and so on. A range of hours would be fine.