From earning an undergraduate degree in history to making a professional pivot into accounting and finance, John Bober (MPA ’82) has had a long and successful career. After earning his Master in Professional Accounting, John started at Arthur Andersen and quickly made partner. He then transitioned to GE Capital, where he spent nearly 23 years of his career. John retired in March 2018 and is now a consultant in the leasing industry. He is also a long-time supporter of our Department.

TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR CAREER AT GE.
I joined GE Capital after more than a decade in public accounting and right after making partner. It was one of the best career decisions I made. The breadth of experience and wisdom I gained at GE were unparalleled. Over my 23 years, I had roles in controllership, finance, risk, and general management. My favorite stints were those I had in project finance, where I led the group that analyzed the accounting and tax implications of investment structures and established investment hurdle rates. I also had other responsibilities within the larger GE organization, including lease pricing and serving as the finance group’s subject matter expert for leasing. At the time, responsibility at GE went to the person and not the position, which allowed for considerable professional growth.

HOW ARE YOU STAYING BUSY IN RETIREMENT?
Since retiring, I have stayed active in the industry. I am now a consultant with The Alta Group, a global consultancy dedicated to equipment leasing and finance — it’s a very interesting world and I enjoy consulting on lease accounting, pricing, and operations. My deepest experience is on the lessor side, and spending time on transactions and establishing lease programs and captive finance arrangements is where my retirement days usually go.

WHY DID YOU JOIN THE DEPARTMENT’S ADVISORY COUNCIL?
Maybe I am a frustrated academic… I enjoy learning what is being taught, and it is great to hear what is on the minds of students and what they are looking for. It was especially helpful when I was recruiting on campus for GE.

WHY DID YOU SWITCH FROM HISTORY TO ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE?
I figured out in college that I needed a skill that I could monetize. I had the opportunity to work in foreign policy, but I passed as UT offered me a fellowship to study accounting in a great program. I do credit my liberal arts courses with helping me learn how to think and process large amounts of information. My history degree also taught me to write, which has served me well.

WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST ABOUT YOUR TIME AT TEXAS McCOMBS?
In the early 80s, there was much to talk about in accounting from a theory and public policy perspective; I thoroughly enjoyed the courses that emphasized the “why” and how accounting information is used. This served me well in the second half of my career, when I was more of a thought leader in the accounting world. I also remember how Michael Granof’s two government accounting courses gave me a window into a different world.

Learn more about starting your journey in accounting at Texas McCombs MPA by visiting our website.