New Texas MPA students,
In the not-to-distant future, you will be stepping foot on The University of Texas at Austin campus and spending plenty of time in the McCombs School of Business. The MPA Program Office staff and accounting faculty will be assisting you, step by step, to prepare you for your classes and the busy, yet exciting, employment recruiting season. In the meantime, we recommend that you…
- Learn about UT’s history and traditions.
- Take a virtual tour of The University of Texas at Austin’s campus.
- Review the website for new students.
- Become familiar with student life at UT and in the McCombs School of Business. Over the years, our student bloggers have published a McCombs mini tour, information about the MPA Lounge and other favorite places to study, and the perks to being in Austin and attending a large, prestigious research university.
A Mini Tour of the McCombs School of Business
MPA Educated Eats is More than Just a Sandwich!
First Impressions of Being a TA
Looking Back, Looking Forward
MPAs Work Hard, Play Hard
MPAC in the Community
A Weekend in Austin
Making Austin Memories
Live Music Capital of the World
Next Stop…More Barbecue
Run, Austin! (2.0)
I Met a Famous Author Thanks to UT!
We look forward to seeing you soon!
The American Institute of CPAs announced the winners of the 2015 Elijah Watt Sells Award. The award is given to CPA candidates who have obtained a cumulative average score above 95.50 across all four sections of the Uniform CPA Examination, passed all four sections of the Examination on their first attempt and completed testing in 2015. A total of 93,742 individuals sat for the Examination in 2015, with 75 candidates meeting the criteria to receive the Elijah Watt Sells Award. Read more…
Four recipients were from the Texas MPA program:
- Emily Baker
- Nathan Evenson
- Paloma Gante
- Yu-Ting Huang
Excerpted from UT News
AUSTIN, Texas – The University of Texas at Austin has more than 40 graduate programs ranked among the top 10 in the nation and three programs ranked No. 1, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 edition of “Best Graduate Schools,” released this morning.
The university has top 10 programs in multiple colleges and schools including business, engineering, education, natural sciences, Earth sciences, public affairs, communications, information, social work, pharmacy, the social sciences, and humanities.
U.S. News & World Report’s graduate rankings, separate from the magazine’s yearly ranking of undergraduate programs, are among the most prestigious ratings in higher education. They are based on surveys of academic leaders and, for select programs, additional quantitative measures including placement test scores, student/faculty ratios, research expenditures and job placement success.
The three programs ranked No. 1 in the nation are accounting in the McCombs School of Business [emphasis added] and petroleum engineering in the Cockrell School of Engineering, both updated this year, and Latin American history in the College of Liberal Arts, last updated in 2013. (U.S. News & World Report does not rank every discipline in every year).
Why Should You Attend the Texas MPA Program? Consider This…
1) Top-Ranked Accounting: The McCombs School of Business graduate and undergraduate accounting programs are Ranked #1 with U.S. News and the Public Accounting Report. What contributes to our reputation for excellence?
2) High Quality Campus: The University of Texas at Austin is ranked highly in the nation and the world. The Princeton Review’s recent guide, “The Best 295 Business Schools, 2016 Edition”, ranks McCombs in the top 10 for the best professors category, based on student responses regarding how well their professors perform as teachers and how accessible they are outside the classroom. Attending a top national university offers distinct advantages, such as access to
3) Great Place to Live: Would you like to live in a city that offers a relatively moderate cost of living and other attractive features? The city of Austin regularly tops many rankings, such as the city most likely to prosper over the next 10 years, best city for job seekers and fastest growing city. Austin offers great weather and plenty of outdoor activities in a laid-back, friendly environment and consistently receives high accolades for quality of life, innovation, employment opportunities, cost of living…and the list goes on….
4) Longhorn Spirit: The University of Texas at Austin is filled with history and traditions and plenty of exciting athletic events.
Want to learn more about our program from a student’s perspective? Read Live and Learn, our student blog, or contact an MPA student ambassador.
We encourage admitted applicants to visit the Texas MPA program to learn more about Austin, the MPA curriculum, career opportunities, our faculty, and the MPA experience. To arrange a personalized visit, please submit the visit form to the MPA Program Office at least two weeks prior to your planned visit.
We look forward to meeting with you!
The Accounting Degree Review recently ranked the Texas MPA the No. 1 graduate accounting program of 2016! The review was based on the rankings from U.S. News and World Report, Public Accounting Report and Brigham Young University (BYU) and AACSB accreditation.
The University of Texas at Austin will be closed November 26-27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
We wish you a happy Thanksgiving!
Students from the MPA Class of 2015 are already demonstrating great success! At the time of graduation:
- 97% accepted offers of employment. 1% opted to continue their education post-MPA.
- 94% of our international MPA graduates accepted offers of employment.
Our MPA graduates secured full-time employment in a variety of geographical areas throughout Texas, the Northeast, West, South and Midwest and with a wide variety of employers:
- 4% consulting
- 5% industry
- 5% investment banking and other financial services
- 86% public accounting
Originally published by Matt Turner in McCombs Today:
For the sixth consecutive year, the McCombs School of Business took the ranking trifecta in accounting, earning the No. 1 spots for its undergraduate, master’s, and Ph.D. programs, according to the Public Accounting Report (PAR) Annual Professors Survey.
This marks the 11th time in 14 years that McCombs took first place across all three of the PAR categories.
What’s new in the MPA world? We recently launched our new mobile- and tablet-friendly website! If you were accustomed to the old format, no worries… all of the critical information on admissions, the curriculum, and MPA experience is still available but easier to read on your smaller devices. Check it out, and let us know what you think!