Student Spotlight: Marielle Pecson, #TXMS Marketing

headshot of MarielleUndergraduate Institution: University of Central Florida

Undergraduate Major: BSBA in Marketing with a minor in International Business

About Marielle: Photography has always been a passion of mine ever since I was a young child, and I decided to take the jump to start my own freelance photography business during my undergraduate degree. Three years later, and I still get that spark of excitement every time I capture the perfect moment for my clients. I caught the travel bug when I was very young, and I have had the opportunity to travel to over 27 countries, with my next stop hopefully being Japan one day. Born in Hawaii and raised in Florida, I’m usually found near the water and exploring the different springs and beaches the area has to offer. But now that Austin is my new home, I’m on the search for the perfect spot for birria tacos!

Proudest Accomplishment: Honestly, my proudest academic accomplishment was actually getting accepted into the MSM program here at McCombs. UT Austin has been a dream school of mine ever since I was a Freshman in high school, and getting to that point of opening the acceptance letter was truly a full circle moment for me. My undergraduate experience had not been easy, and the application process most definitely pushed me to my limits. Yet when I realized I got accepted into one of the top MSM programs in the entire country, it was the wake up call I needed to realize that hard work really does pay off. If there is one thing that this process has taught me yet, it’s that you should never underestimate the power you have as long as you try your best!

Why did you choose the MSM Program? The MSM program is one that has been crafted by some of the most knowledgeable and experienced figures in the marketing industry, and it shows. I knew that the MSM program at UT Austin was the perfect fit for me with its world renowned faculty and staff, exceptional networking opportunities, and a city that has continued to be a leader in both growth and innovation. Not only does this program provide you the tools and resources to succeed, but you are surrounded by likeminded individuals who are willing to put in the real work. This community will push you out of your comfort zone so that you are able to take advantage of the opportunities in front of you. Even though it is just the first semester, I am so excited to see how my cohort and I will grow and learn together through this journey.

What are you most looking forward to this year? I am very excited to dive deeper into the marketing curriculum this upcoming Fall and Spring as the MSM program offers courses that I would have never had the opportunity to take in my undergraduate degree. Classes like Data Analytics and Design Thinking are very intriguing to me and I’m looking forward to becoming more articulate in the language of digital marketing.