#TXMS Student Spotlight: Kelly (Tianyi) Zhang, MSITM 2020

Program:

Master of Science in Information Technology & Management

Undergraduate University and Major: University of California, Irvine – Informatics & Statistics

Graduating Class: Class of 2020

About Kelly: I was born in China. Eating is one of the most important things in my life. I love to try different kinds of food, and I really love to cook. Spending time in my kitchen is a way for me to deal with stress. I’m a coffee addict and a design enthusiast.

Proudest accomplishment:

I’ve written over 60 IT/Data blogs in Chinese and had the highest PViews (reached to 16,857). I started writing blogs at the time of the United Airlines overbooking scandal in 2017. I couldn’t understand why they would overbook flights. I spent time looking into the data analytics of it all and realized that airline companies are most likely to earn more money if they do so. It’s not rocket science to understand why they do this, but I also thought it would be helpful to illustrate my findings by telling people about it in the most understandable and entertaining way; as a real storyteller. I really enjoyed hearing from my readers that they actually understand some tricky concepts easily when they read my blogs. I had the opportunity to learn about topics in different areas, and gain in-depth technical knowledge, while also enjoying the marketing and social media aspect of blogging. Ultimately writing blogs and learning about new and interesting things gave me an interesting soul.

Why did you choose the MSITM Program?

Texas is the destination of my undergrad graduation trip. I really love it here. UT is the only school I applied to outside Southern California. The MSITM program fit in my expectation of a master’s program, especially when it came to the curriculum. I also love the school culture here and the city of Austin.

What are you most looking forward to this year?

Learn new things, meet new friends, start a career, and dig deeper into the information technology world.