#TXMS Student Spotlight: Sijo Valayakkad Manikandan, MSBA 2020

Program:

Master of Science in Business Analytics

Student Name:

Sijo Valayakkad Manikandan

Graduating Class:

Class of 2020

Undergraduate University and Major:

Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India – Mechanical Engineering

About Sijo:

Before joining the program, I worked as an Analytics Consultant for Capgemini for almost 3 years improving products and business processes using advanced analytics and programming. I am a tennis player who has represented state and university teams at several national level competitions. I am also passionate about providing aid to underprivileged communities.

Proudest accomplishment:

I have always tried to go beyond expectations to assist my clients. In one of the client engagements, I was tasked to provide a solution to the reoccurring product delays that led to multiple contractual penalties for my client. Analyzing data from multiple sources and consulting subject matter experts, I built an interactive dashboard with actionable KPIs that helped the client avoid such scenarios. Recognizing the benefit of such an industry-agnostic solution, the client decided to implement it in all of their future projects. I am proud that I was able to not only solve the problems but also exceeded the expectations of my client.

Why did you choose the MSBA Program?

My time with Capgemini has helped me realize that many organizations are trying to gain insights from the huge amount of data they capture and that the field of analytics is growing at a quicker pace than ever before. Having worked on a variety of assignments in different domains of analytics – including automation, data analysis, visualization, and engineering – I felt that a graduate degree in analytics would help me widen my array of skill sets, to add more value to the organizations I work for. I was looking for an intense short term program that focuses equally on all three aspects of analytics: programming, statistics, and business. The highly application-oriented MSBA program at the prestigious McCombs School of Business was a perfect match for my aspirations and I am glad that I made the right choice.

What have you enjoyed so far this year and look forward to for the future?

The program pushes me, not only to learn, but also to apply what I have learned in the class. I am anxiously waiting for the industry events in the fall and spring semesters that would help me familiarize with the work and culture of several organizations, helping me prepare for the industry. I also look forward to the business capstone in the spring semester that would help me work with industry professionals to apply the skills learned in the program to a real-world problem.