Jennifer Boone's headshot

Jennifer Boone, Texas McCombs MBA Class of 2021

Jennifer Boone has dedicated her life to changing the world. She works for Brighter Bites, a nonprofit that provides healthy meals to underprivileged students in cities across the country. Through her Texas McCombs MBA degree, she’s learning leadership skills to better serve those communities — one meal at a time.

New Beginnings

After graduating from Texas A&M University with an Ecosystem Management undergraduate degree, Jennifer pursued a career focused on agriculture, the environment, and their intersection within society. 

Jennifer Boone in the middle of a bright green produce field.In 2013, Jennifer was appointed lead Agriculture and National Resource Policy Intern for Congressman Pete Sessions, TX 32, with the U.S. House of Representatives. Afterward, she stayed  with environmental work at Oncor Electric Delivery in their waste management department where she got a better understanding of the issues of waste in both natural and business ecosystems.

In 2017, Jennifer moved to the produce industry and became a Regional Sustainability Coordinator for PRO*ACT where she implemented “Greener Fields Together,” a program with the mission of cultivating a transparent seed-to-fork supply chain of responsibly-sourced produce in 13 states with 10 wholesale produce purveyors. 

She is now working at Brighter Bites – a nonprofit organization that provides healthy meals, fresh produce, and nutrition information to low-income elementary school students and their families in cities in the U.S. She was recently promoted to Director of Sourcing where she directs all of the organization’s procurement and supply chain activities.

Jennifer’s background in agriculture has provided her with valuable skills in her new role and industry, but her passion to learn new things hasn’t ceased. She says getting her MBA gives her the tools she needs to do her job better.

“Understanding the business levers to pull and being able to apply the concepts I learn in class to the fresh food and produce world has allowed me to more effectively solve problems, develop higher-level strategies for future growth, and move more food to people who need it. “

Why McCombs

Jennifer’s interest in McCombs started when she was introduced to the power of the alumni network at Texas A&M. When determining what would be the best business school for her,  she was surprised to experience firsthand that the “McCombs network is even stronger than the Aggie network.”

“I chose McCombs for a lot of reasons: the rankings, the faculty, the students I met at the open houses, the weekend format. But the number one reason I chose McCombs was so that I could join the world-class network of alumni doing amazing things across the world.”

Photo of Jennifer Boone in a balcony in front of the UT tower. She has shoulder length blonde hair and is wearing a black shirt with a grey blazer.

Jennifer Boone at the McCombs School of Business, Rowling Hall, in front of the UT Tower.

With her May graduation date quickly approaching, Jennifer’s workload hasn’t slowed down — especially with the transition to Zoom classes. She says that figuring out how to juggle a heavier professional workload while still handling rigorous MBA coursework has been a challenge.

“Learning to navigate the combination of these things while still setting aside some time to be with my family is a great exercise in time management and prioritizing — valuable skills that will serve me well in future leadership roles.”

Jennifer Boone (center) surrounded by classmates. They're all in front of a business named "Stoneleigh"

Jennifer Boone (left center) with her by classmates and the Sr. Assistant Dean and Director of Working Professional & Executive MBA Programs, Joe Stephens (bottom left)

McCombs has also strengthened Jennifer’s leadership skills. Outside of her schoolwork, Jennifer is the Vice President of Diversity & Inclusion for the Graduate Business Council (GBC) and an officer with the Graduate Women in Business (GWiB). 

“I’m learning a lot about leading people in the classroom (thank you Dr. Harrison!) and being involved in these groups allows me to put those lessons into real-world practice, guide how our class engages with the program, and shape the program for future years.”

The Road Ahead

Jennifer Boone is wearing a red Brighter Bites T-shirt and black pants. She's holding up two bags full of produce from Brighter Bites.

Jennifer Boone with bags of produce from Brighter Bites.

Jennifer’s role at Brighter Bites allows her to lead procurement efforts across all of their partner cities and work with their farmers, freight companies, and food banks to ensure they get healthy, good quality products for consumers. 

“Healthy food is a right, but fresh food is not available to everyone equally. Even if it is available, the lack of education around what to do with fresh produce can keep people from incorporating it into their diets.”

Because of the pandemic, Jennifer says that food insecurity has disproportionately impacted Black, Hispanic, and Indigenous people — making her job all the more urgent. 

“It has been critical for me and my organization to focus on how we can get more fresh food to these communities specifically. Our operating model had to pivot to safely continue reaching families in need of food, and my procurement strategy had to adapt with the quickly changing food system.”

Jennifer Boone holding a box with produce from Brighter Bites

Jennifer Boone surrounded by boxes full of produce from her work at Brighter Bites.

Since the second week of May 2020, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Jennifer and her team at Brighter Bites have almost quadrupled their reach: They’re now serving 50,000 families each week with fresh produce and nutrition education across all six of their partner cities and have distributed over two million pounds of fruits and vegetables.

Jennifer’s not new to problem-solving. In addition to her job as Director of Sourcing, she recently designed and found funding for a project at Brighter Bites that works with growers to fight food insecurity by redirecting food waste. This grant would allow her to rescue half a million pounds of produce over the course of two-and-a-half months. After a month into the project, Jennifer had already rescued more than 215,000 pounds of cabbage, romaine, green leaf, kale, and broccoli from farms in California! In the final leg of the project, Jennifer hopes to move some of those greens into the Navajo Nation, which has also been severely affected by the pandemic.

“It’s definitely something I’m very proud of, as it’s a pilot program that would allow a more sustainable flow of produce and would unlock a whole side of the produce supply chain that is not currently accessible through straight donations. Supporting our farmers is incredibly important for the continued health of our domestic and global food system.”

Her role in the senior leadership for Brighter Bites is more involved than before. “Guiding strategic decisions about empowering families with good nutrition and how we can build a robust, resilient supply chain has been the highlight of my career,” she says.

“My MBA has given me new problem solving skills, equipped me with more analytical chops and has given me the ability to contribute more meaningfully in my role. More importantly, I know my MBA from McCombs will help me lead with impact for the rest of my career.”

Visit Texas McCombs MBA to find out more about all our programs, events, and community, or take a peek into student life on Instagram.

Hook ’em!