MPA Student Profile – Alejandra Flores

Name: Alejandra, Ale, Flores
Hometown:
 Laredo, Texas
MPA track: Tax
Class status: 3rd Year
Graduation date:
 MPA- Spring 2020

Why did you choose the MPA program?
A passion for accounting led me to apply to the #1 accounting program in the nation. I discovered the great reputation of UT’s MPA as a participant in UIL State Accounting high school competitions, which were always hosted in the forty acres. In addition, I got to meet some of the wonderful professors as a high school camper in DYNAMC (Discover Yourself in Accounting Majors and Careers), which I was also a camp counselor for this past summer. The MPA program is the primary reason I chose to attend McCombs and I have been exposed and loved accounting since my sophomore year of high school.

What do you look forward to most about your MPA experience?
I look forward to many things in the MPA program, but a major part is to be able to learn from the other MPA students. The MPA program has some of the brightest minds in McCombs and I think it creates a challenging and motivating environment. I know everyone will be highly successful in the future, whether it’s in academia, public accounting, industry, or any other path, and I am enthusiastic about maintaining and developing relationships with my peers.

What have you been doing before the start of school?
This past summer I was interning with Ernst&Young in San Jose, California. I was actually in the office when I read the email that I had been accepted into the MPA program!

What led you to accounting?
I took my first accounting class in my business magnet high school and really enjoyed learning the language of business. I joined accounting-focused clubs and realized that in my spare time I was reading my accounting textbook or studying for accounting competitions. It kind of turned into a hobby and I know I made the right choice when I feel the same cheerfulness in my 8am tax class.

What advice do you have for students interested in the MPA program?
I would suggest for students to pay a lot of attention in their ACC311 and 312 classes. I believe these courses are a very good hint of what the MPA program will be like. If you feel interested in accounting then the MPA program is definitely a great opportunity that can open many doors to different careers. There is no specific career path that all MPA students have to follow, the MPA can help develop any professional through rigorous classes, working in teams, and resources such as career advisors.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
My favorite spot on campus is the union! I can grab a cup of coffee at Starbucks and there are so many options for lunch. I can study in very comfortable couches, catch a movie every Thursday, go bowling underground, or dance as a part of UT’s Texas Latin Dance. I feel like there is always something going on and it is a short walk from home.

Where are your favorite places to go and favorite things to do in Austin?
I really like going to coffee shops and exploring different restaurants. Austin has some of the best food I have ever had (Clay Pit is one of my favorites). I usually volunteer during weekends, because there are so many opportunities to give back in Austin and it is a great motivator for the rest of the week. Hiking, karaoke, and Latin dancing are things I enjoy doing with my friends.