MPA Student Profile – Joel Garcia

Name: Joel Garcia
Hometown: Weslaco, Texas
MPA track: Audit
Class status: 3rd year iMPA
Graduation date:
 Spring 2020

Why did you choose the MPA program?
The MPA program opens up a variety of opportunities within the accounting field. Although I may not know where I will start my professional career, I know that by being in the program, I will have the necessary skills to be successful. In addition, the MPA program is geared towards CPA eligibility, which is essential for many accounting careers.

What do you look forward to most about your MPA experience?
I look forward to meeting and working with peers and educators who are passionate about the accounting field. Many people outside of the accounting world see the profession as just numbers, but accounting gives a unique perspective that can have influence in making positive changes in both companies and the community.

What led you to accounting?
I have always wanted to be in a career that would give me the opportunity to help others, which is why I initially wanted to become a doctor. With me being afraid of blood though, I knew that being successful in that career was very unlikely. It was not until I started to see the importance that accounting had in every aspect of business, personal finances, and government spending that made me value accounting and the positive changes I could bring by being an accountant.

What advice do you have for students interested in the MPA program?
Join the program only if you truly enjoy accounting. I know that may seem obvious, but I believe there is a clear distinction between prospective students who want to join simply because it is the top program in the country and students who actually have a passion for it. The courses are difficult, so having a passion for what you are learning makes them enjoyable.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
I wish I could say Gregory Gym was where I spent most of my free time, but that would simply be far from the truth. My favorite spot on campus would be the atrium in McCombs, since it is not only close to food, but brings in a lot of natural sun light due to the glass ceiling.

Where are your favorite places to go and favorite things to do in Austin?
I love Central Market. We don’t have one back in my hometown or anywhere near my area, so when I come to Austin that is my go to. I know Austin has so much more to offer than just Central Market, but if you have never been, it is a must!