Say Cheese

Photography Part Two

camera

I’m excited to say my trip to Precision Camera was a success. After two visits, I left with a brand new Sony a6000 camera. Its been about two weeks and I absolutely love it. It was great to have a quality camera to take pictures with for Halloween.

Photography is interesting because the more you get into it the more you realize how challenging the craft is. Every time I’ve been out to shoot I learn something new about my camera. High-powered cameras have so many features built into them its crazy. Personally I hate reading instruction manuals, so I’ve been learning about my device through trial and error. I also think one of the best ways to learn is by observing others. A few of the times I’ve been out with my camera my photography friends have been with me. I always ask for feedback on the photos I’m taking. Having a second opinion always helps. People always notice things I would never think about. It’s also cool to go out and shoot with them because they’re great at finding cool spots to take pictures.

Trying to find the perfect spot for photos is one of the hardest parts of photography. A place my be aesthetically pleasing in person but show up terribly in photos. A lot of this has to do with lighting. Natural light provides the perfecting illumination for eye-catching photos. But, depending on the time of day natural light can make your photo look very different. Luckily I’ve been getting a lot of practice playing with different lighting lately. Because we’re seniors many of my friends and I are trying to cross things off of our Austin bucket list. Going to all of the cool places Austin has to offer has given me a chance to capture some amazing photos. Investing in a camera has not only allowed me to capture memories, but it also has given me a new challenge. I hope to continue to get better at photography. If I keep improving, I might even submit a photo for the MPA Photo Contest: Around UT in 20 days.