Woodrow “Woody” Watson, MBA ’23, has taken his recently earned degree and run with it. As the Senior Manager of Merchandising Operations at Walmart, Woody has not only established himself in a new position in a new state, but has taken the helm as the newly appointed McCombs Arkansas Alumni Chapter leader where he has spearheaded the establishment and growth of the organization. We caught up with Woody to see how he is enjoying the Natural State and just what he plans to do to keep up the growth momentum of the ever-expanding McCombs Arkansas Alumni Chapter.

Blonde man stands in front of orange background

Woodrow “Woody” Watson, MBA ’23, is the newly appointed McCombs Arkansas Alumni Chapter Leader

Q: Where are you originally from?

A: I am originally from a small town in Kansas called Louisburg that is about 50 miles south of Kansas City. When I was growing up it was primarily an agricultural town, but now it has become more suburban as the city sprawls southward. However, we are known for an apple cider mill that produces all kind of artisanal products that have been found across our country, Canada, Mexico, and into the Caribbean.

Q: What brought you to UT Austin?

A: In 2011, I moved from Kansas to Dallas. After being in the industry for eight years, I knew it was time to go back to school. The McCombs Dallas MBA program was gaining popularity among my colleagues as the top business school program in the city. Being part of one of the largest and most well-known universities was also enticing as I knew I wanted to become a Longhorn and grow my network exponentially.

Q: Tell us what an impact being a McCombs grad has had on your life? 

A: Being a McCombs graduate has had a profound impact on my life in numerous ways. I was able to use the McCombs recruiting and career advising team to leverage my experience to find the perfect career progression post-MBA. The knowledge and skills I acquired during my time at UT have equipped me with the necessary tools to excel in my new environment.

I was a “career enhancer/switcher” and was able to make the transition into a new industry seamlessly. Additionally, the network of fellow alumni that I have established and continue to compound has proven to be invaluable in terms of professional connections and support. Moreover, the university’s world-class education has instilled in me a sense of critical thinking, problem-solving, and adaptability.

Q: Tell us how you continue to be involved with McCombs, and why is that important to you?

A: When I relocated to Arkansas for my career move, I wanted to stay in contact with the University. I had a very positive experience and having a second McCombs family in my new home was imperative. It was determined that no alumni chapter was present after the pandemic, so I decided to take it upon myself to rebuild the chapter with new leadership. Now the chapter has grown from zero to over 50 alumni in less than three months, and we have planned multiple events and celebrations over the coming months.

I was given the opportunity to attend the McCombs MBA Advisory Board meetings as a Chapter leader. Attending these advisory board meetings has allowed me to stay updated on the latest initiatives, curriculum enhancements, and industry trends within the McCombs MBA program. It also provides an opportunity for me to contribute my own experiences and insights as a Chapter leader, representing the perspective of Arkansas alumni.

Lastly, Walmart’s McCombs network is growing rapidly each year. We have a strong core recruiting group that identify and pursue alumni to join our team. I am lucky enough to help speak with prospective hires and share my experience at McCombs and how I transitioned to life at Walmart in Arkansas.

Q: We’re getting ready to welcome a new batch of McCombs students in the fall. Do you have any advice you’d like to share with them as the embark on their college careers?

A: When beginning my time with McCombs, I wanted to focus on a few career-enhancing activities that would help springboard to the next level. I believe that each of these were critically important to my progression.

1. Get involved: Join clubs, organizations, and extracurricular activities that align with your interests. This will help you make friends, develop new skills, and enhance your overall college experience.
  2. Make use of campus resources: Take advantage of the various resources offered by your college, such as libraries, writing centers, tutoring services, and career counseling. These resources are there to support your academic and personal growth.
  3. Have fun and make memories: While academics are important, remember to have fun and enjoy your college years. Make time for social activities, attend campus events, create lifelong friendships, and make lasting memories that you will cherish long after graduation.

Q: What are you doing now with your career?

A: During Fall semester of my second year, I was offered a position with Walmart US located at the Home Office in Bentonville, AR. I am part of an MBA Merchandising Leadership Program that will allow me to experience multiple roles over the course of a few years.

The career progression paths and possibilities are nearly endless. I work with a team of merchandisers, financial planners, and replenishment managers to ensure our customers can purchase a wide selection of products at everyday low prices. Coupled with continued involvement in McCombs programs, I am excited to experience what Walmart has to offer in terms of advancement during a long-tenured career.