Attending JupyterCon with MSBA Shreya Trivedi

We all might be returning from a long holiday weekend, but for some of our MS Programs students, now is the time to hit the ground running with research and preparing to take their skills into the real world. We had the opportunity to catch up with Texas MSBA 2018 Shreya Trivedi, who recently attended JupyterCon in New York. JupyterCon brings together professionals, researchers, and students in the world of business and data science to talk best practices and provide networking opportunities.

What piqued your interest in this conference?

In my first semester of MS in Business Analytics, I pursued a course on programming for data science which gave me an exposure to Python’s Jupyter Notebook. I attended this conference to understand how data scientists and business analysts are using python to solve real world business problems. It was an opportunity to get hands on experience with skills I had learned in the classroom.

Tell us a few of your takeaways from the conference.

The conference had several tutorials that gave me an exposure to technical skills, new features and applications, and best practices in Python. It also helped me learn the fundamentals of an end-to data science workflow in Jupyter. Apart from the tutorials, the conference had several speakers including Nadia Eghbal (GitHub), Fernando Perez (UC Berkeley), Demba Ba (Harvard), Brett Cannon (Microsoft) and many more. Some of the interesting topics covered were:

• Fernando Perez explained how Project Jupyter fits into a vision of collaborative development of tools that are applicable to research, education, and industry.
  • Demba Ba explained how he designed and implemented two Harvard courses that use cloud-based Jupyter notebooks.
  • William Merchan shared fundamental trends driving the adoption of Jupyter and its deployment in large organizations.
  • Kyle Kelley shared how Netflix uses Jupyter notebook and explained how we can learn from Netflix’s experience to enable analysts at other organizations.

Sounds like there was great opportunities for networking. Did you get a chance to make interesting connections?

There were data scientists from different industries from across the globe as well as professors and post-doctoral researchers who research focuses on machine learning and AI. There were also data analysts and business analysts from a number of different industries. There were networking sessions where I got to interact with a variety of people and even to talk about McCombs’ MSBA program. I was able to get contact details and hope to stay connected with them, not just for myself to but connect my MSBA peers, too!

The MS Programs are excited to support students like Shreya in their attendance at conferences like JupyterCon. Check back in on our blog to hear of more Recent Happenings with #TXSMS2018! Questions about our blog? Contact our page admin.

Contributions to this blog were made by Texas MSBA & Student Executive Committee member Anurag Agarwal and Texas MSM & Student Executive Committee member Mariah McFadin.