Sophia Matar
Full Speed Ahead for This MPA Student 

Sophia Matar, MPA candidate ’24, credits McCombs’ career coaches and corporate partners with starting her off well

Sophia Matar is no stranger to the fast track. She started her undergraduate education at The University of Texas at Austin with enough dual credit and Advanced Placement coursework to graduate in just three years — majoring in economics with a minor in accounting. So, the opportunity to get a head start on graduate coursework through Texas McCombs’ Master in Professional Accounting (MPA) Bridge program was, she says, “just too good to pass up.”

She’s currently set to graduate at the end of the Spring 2024 semester, with an audit position awaiting her as she steps off the stage. She talks about accounting as both stable and dynamic, how the MPA Bridge program matched her ambitions, and how real-world exposure at McCombs gave her the confidence to land her first job.

Q: After studying both economics and accounting, what finally drew you toward a master’s in accounting?

A: I found economics coursework to be a lot more theoretical, while accounting is more structured and practical. So, the stability drew me in. But it’s also an exciting field because there are so many avenues to pursue, so many different types of jobs, and plenty of potential to work directly with clients. Some people who study accounting end up as investment bankers or as CFOs — it’s not sitting at a desk and booking journal entries.

Q: What benefits did you see in enrolling in the MPA Bridge program?

A: My plan was to graduate in three years, and I saw the Bridge program as a way to start my graduate studies in my third year of college and then finish my master’s in my fourth year. Finishing two degrees in four years was just too good to pass up. It definitely helped to save money, too.

Q: What aspects of the one-year MPA program have you enjoyed and have been helpful for you?

A: I’ve gotten so much help with professional development. McCombs’ career coaches have met with me multiple times, helping me with interview prep and to rework my résumé. Because of all their help, I now feel extremely confident in my networking skills.

It’s also been really helpful to hear from so many guest speakers in classes — people who are out working in the field right now. Hearing their experiences has helped me to understand that not everybody is on the same path, but that accountants come from many different backgrounds and succeed in a wide range of really interesting roles. Right now, for example, I’m in an internal audit class and we’re paired with a company to do internal audit work for them. It’s so great to get that experience while I’m in school.

Q: What’s your plan for after graduation?

A: Initially, I figured I would do general consulting after graduation. But during my MPA experience, I’ve been exposed to so many different ways in which to be an accountant, and I realized that I really like the internal side of audit versus the external side. I ended up taking a tech risk consulting position with EY, where I’ll be doing internal control work and risk assessment.

Q: What about advice for potential accounting program applicants?

A: The program is well worth it — and not just because of the coursework, even though that has been instrumental for me. It’s valuable because you have access to real-world experiences and one-on-one development opportunities. McCombs’ MPA program is one of the most well-known and prepares you very well for whatever accounting path you choose.