From majoring in accounting and political science at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to earning his MPA at Texas McCombs, Arturo C. Olivarez (MPA ’20) has always had his sights set on government and accounting. Not only has he worked at the Texas Senate and U.S. Congress, but he recently started a new alumni chapter in the RGV. Meet Arturo below!

Arturo C. OlivarezWHAT’S YOUR STORY, ARTURO?
Howdy! I’m a proud second-generation Longhorn and have had the privilege of being born, raised, and educated in Texas. I currently serve as an Outreach Coordinator and Constituent Services Representative for a U.S. Congressman. I’m also the chapter leader for the McCombs Rio Grande Valley (RGV) Alumni Chapter. When I’m not at work, you can often find me hunting, playing the drums, or cheering for the Longhorns and the Dallas Cowboys.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO STUDY ACCOUNTING?
I’ve been fascinated by the intersection of business, government, and society as a result of growing up in one of the most impoverished regions of Texas. The purpose of my college experience was to answer one question: how can I improve the American financial system? I believe that accounting offers a comprehensive understanding of the processing, communication, and analysis of financial data for both public and private entities.

WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE MPA CLASS?
For the sake of giving credit where credit is due, there are three classes that have been especially impactful in my career and my life. Business and Policy in the Age of Inequality with Professor Cobb taught me the importance of corporate social responsibility. Financial Statement Analysis with Professor Zhao helped me connect the overarching theories of accounting and translate them into sound decision-making for investments. Lastly, the Legal and Ethical Environment of Accounting with Professor Jue honed my reasoning skills as I developed a rudimentary understanding of the legal system and how to navigate it as a working professional.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO SINCE GRADUATING FROM MPA?
I was very fortunate to have had a job waiting for me when I graduated. I was hired as a Legislative Aide for a Texas State Senator after interning with their office in my final semester of the program. I stayed with the Senator through the 87th legislative session, and I midnighted as a contracted Legislative Policy Analyst for Stateside Associates, a boutique government consulting firm in Washington, D.C. I was then was hired by a U.S. Congressman last August. Additionally, I recently helped establish the McCombs Rio Grande Valley Alumni chapter this past spring, and it’s been a fantastic way to strengthen the McCombs presence in South Texas.

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO RECRUIT FOR A JOB IN GOVERNMENT?
Simple: I want to rewrite the American tax code. As a legislative staffer in Congress with an MPA degree, I hope to craft innovative policy solutions for the ever-changing business world. I believe the U.S. could learn a thing or two from Texas, and I’m hoping to demonstrate that once I get to D.C.

TELL US ABOUT THE McCOMBS ALUMNI RIO GRANDE VALLEY CHAPTER.
I distinctly remember scouring the McCombs alumni website during my first semester as an MPA student to find resources available for residents of the Rio Grande Valley. I was discouraged to find that there was not an established alumni network in South Texas. After some correspondence with the McCombs Alumni Office, I established the official McCombs Rio Grande Valley Alumni chapter. I’ve been grateful for the support of the Alumni Office as well as other chapter leaders who have guided me through the creation of this organization.

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS AS THE RGV CHAPTER PRESIDENT?
I have two primary goals as chapter leader: 1) Unite McCombs alumni who are living and working in the RGV; and 2) provide resources for current McCombs students who hail from the RGV. Fundamentally, I want to create a reliable network for current students and alumni in South Texas. We are a young organization, and the pandemic has made events very difficult to organize, but there are close to 1,000 McCombs alumni in the Rio Grande Valley that are actively shaping the business landscape of South Texas, and I want to help organize our movement.

The U.S. traditional MPA application is still open! Make a difference in the world like Arturo and change the trajectory of your career – apply to MPA before the April 30 deadline.