Roughly 40 million U.S. borrowers have over $1 trillion in student loans, and 70% of undergrad students graduate with some amount of debt. Terri Holbrook, an accounting faculty member, and her husband, Ed Blechschmidt, started the Holbrook Scholar Program in 2014 to help MPA students interested in tax reduce their need to borrow. As Terri said, “We believe it is a crisis, and in reviewing our potential philanthropic possibilities we couldn’t think of a better place to try and make a difference.”

This year, 17 students received a scholarship ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 to help cover the cost of graduate school. Scholarships are awarded to third, fourth, and fifth year integrated and traditional MPA students with high academic merit and financial need.

Terri and Ed have committed $1 million to this scholarship over a ten-year period. Once a student applies, an independent committee of faculty and staff awards the scholarships. According to Terri, “This is our fifth scholarship class and simply said, we love our Holbrook Scholars and know they will be successful in their own professional lives, eventually giving back to others.”

HOLBROOK SCHOLAR PROGRAM 2018-2019 RECIPIENTS

CONTINUING
Nicholas Baquera
Jiaying Han
Vinizha Matus
Alison Strealy

NEW
Raegan Bass
Christina Connealy
Hannah Edwards
Lydia Elseth
Elijah Foster
Jerry Lam
Aimee Low
Elizabeth Morgan
Adam Schor
Alyssa Suddhi
Weijun Tang
Kaitlyn Walt
Tyler Wilridge

RECIPIENT NICK BAQUERA

WHAT’S YOUR STORY, NICK?
I’m a fifth year iMPA first-generation college student from El Paso, Texas on the tax track. I’m a cyclist, former swimmer, outdoor enthusiast, music lover, and sports advocate.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO STUDY ACCOUNTING?
In high school, I took a Microsoft Programs class and became interested in Excel. My teacher noticed and challenged me to enroll in an upcoming UIL Accounting competition. I scored very well, and the following summer I came to UT for the DYNAMC summer program and never looked back.

WHAT DOES THIS PROGRAM MEAN TO YOU?
As a three-time recipient, I can certainly attest to the efforts of the Holbrook Scholar Program and the positive outcomes for the students.

WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH YOUR SCHOLARSHIP?
I will primarily use it for tuition, though some of it may go towards CPA exam costs.

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
I will be joining EY’s tax department in Seattle, Washington where I plan to spend my free time enjoying the outdoors of the Pacific Northwest!

RECIPIENT LYDIA ELSETH

WHAT’S YOUR STORY, LYDIA?
I graduated with a BA in Economics from Stephen F. Austin State University in 2014. I worked for a few years in an unrelated industry before deciding to change directions and pursue a career in accounting.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO STUDY ACCOUNTING?
I chose accounting because I sought to develop a technical skill set that would pair well with my academic background. Accounting was the perfect choice for me!

WHAT DOES THIS PROGRAM MEAN TO YOU?
I chose to pursue tax out of genuine interest in the subject; this scholarship has helped assure me that this field will suit me best.

WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH YOUR SCHOLARSHIP?
It will help fund my tuition.

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?
After graduation, I’m planning to work in Washington D.C., which I’m very excited about. I have not yet completed the interview process, so I have not made any final decisions regarding employment.