OUTMORELIVING22F

TVL Alumni Spotlight: Outmore Living

OUTMORELIVING22F
Students compete in the Texas Venture Labs Investment Competition finals in Rowling Hall on December 9, 2022. Photo by Lauren Gerson.

We are highlighting Outmore Living as our Alumni Spotlight of the month! Outmore Living is a previous TVLIC competitor and Texas Champion from Fall 2022! We spoke with co-founder and CEO Kevin Long to hear more about their experience at McCombs and TVL, and the story of Outmore Living.

What is Outmore Living?

Outmore Living is reimagining the future of outdoor spaces.  Our patent-pending first product line, battery-powered heated outdoor furniture, provides year round comfort and will forever change how consumers interact with their outdoor spaces.

What are some of the most important takeaways you gained from your time with TVL, and how have you applied them to your personal and professional life? 

Outmore Living participated in Texas Venture Labs Investment Competition (TVLIC) twice before winning the competition this past fall.  The first two times we competed, our team received amazing feedback on how we could fine-tune our business model and better prepare for the next semester’s competition.

At times, our team is moving so fast that there is little time to stop and pressure test our strategy.  What is amazing about TVLIC is that it not only provides a forum to win non-dilutive funding, but it also creates an opportunity to pause, present your plan to esteemed judges, and receive unbiased feedback.

TVL has taught our team the power of slowing down and soliciting feedback and new perspectives from others. We have applied this lesson to Outmore Living by creating recurring checkpoints where we provide updates to our strategy and business plan to our mentors to ensure that we are constantly moving on the right path.

What program(s) were you involved in with TVL, and what was your favorite part about it/them? 

My main involvement with TVL was the Texas Venture Labs Investment Competition.  What I loved about TVLIC, besides what I previously mentioned, was that it brings together some of the most promising early-stage startups across UT’s campus.  Not only is it an opportunity to see how your startup stacks up against others, but it is also a chance to meet other UT entrepreneurs and learn about innovative companies that are tackling complex problems.

What inspired you to get interested in the entrepreneurship and startup world? 

I always dreamt of starting my own company.  Both of my siblings, my dad, and both of my grandpas owned their own companies, so entrepreneurship is in my blood.  When I worked for Target in Minneapolis, I had some amazing opportunities.  However, I always felt like something was missing and that starting a company would be the only way to fill that gap.

What is your favorite place to grab tacos in Austin? 

I love Vera Cruz steak tacos and could eat them almost every day.  As a bonus, my wife’s and my favorite fajitas are at Matt’s El Rancho, which I give my highest recommendation.

Join us on Friday, April 28th 2023 for our Spring 2023 Texas Venture Labs Investment Competition. Outmore Living will be joining us for a Fireside Chat while judges deliberate the final winners of the competition. We look forward to seeing you there!