#TXMS Student Spotlight: Chimnoya Oyeka MSF 2019

Program:

Master of Science Program in Finance

Student Name:

Chimnoya Oyeka

Graduating Class:

Class of 2019

Undergraduate Alma Mater:

Baylor University, Psychology

About Chimnoya:

I am 24-year-old, Nigerian of Igbo tribe. My family and I relocated to the States when I was about 7 years old. I grew up in Houston, Texas with my mom and my five older sisters. I love cooking, dancing, and traveling.

Proudest Accomplishment:

One of my proudest accomplishments was graduating with my bachelor’s degree because during my undergraduate education, I was faced with a lot of personal family challenges. It took strength and perseverance to overcome and reassured me that no matter how hard a goal is or how difficult a situation may be, you can achieve it and prevail, if you work hard and put your mind to it.

Why did you choose the MSF Program?

One of the things that drew me to the Texas MSF Program is the diversity of the educational backgrounds of the students. Allowing for non-finance degrees students breeds a culture of innovative thinking and problem solving through different perspectives that I believe will prove beneficial. Another feature that drew me to the program was the Practicum in Finance that allows for first-hand experience in working with companies to solve real-world financial problems. It is no secret that McCombs Business School is a singular institute with optimal resources to network, learn from distinguished faculty, and belong to a legacy of great leaders changing the world.

What were the first 3 weeks of the program like?

Since I got my acceptance letter, I had been eager to begin and meet everyone and my expectations were met. From the lovely guest speakers during Orientation, to meeting new classmates and faculty members, as well as learning some of the fundamental tools that were helpful during those first two weeks, it was a great kickoff to start the program. Those first two weeks were packed and loaded with materials, assignments, and projects. We hit the ground running and it has been a challenge, but one that I am up for.

What are you looking forward to most this year?

It would be tied with gaining as much finance knowledge as I can from professors, faculty, and peers as well as forming lasting relationships with these people. Two of the biggest reasons I wanted to come to McCombs was not only for the exceptional education I would receive but the culture and network of their alumni association—and that starts with my peers. Talking to a lot more experienced professionals, they all say the same thing, “Your network starts with your classmates.” So, I definitely want to heed to that advice and build lasting relationships that stay with me long after I graduate. I believe that’s one of the most important things about life, the ability to live in the moment, soaking all the experiences, and having them last with you forever. That’s what I plan to do here at McCombs—make a lasting impression on the school as I know it will on me.

More on Texas MS Student Spotlight:

Texas MS #StudentSpotlight is a recurring feature showcasing the talent, background, and aspirations of the McCombs Master of Science Program students! Learn more about the Texas Master of Science in Finance on our homepage.

Current Texas MS students interested in appearing in our student spotlight should contact their Program Coordinator regarding access to the Student Spotlight Survey.