Texas MS #StudentSpotlight: Abhas Mishra, MSF 2018

Program:

Master of Science inĀ Finance

Student Name:

Abhas Mishra

Graduating Class:

Class of 2018

Undergraduate Alma Mater:

University of Texas at Austin, Electrical Engineering

About Abhas:

I am Abhas Mishra and I am an avid traveler, photographer, and an aspiring finance professional. Three years ago, I completed my undergraduate in Electrical Engineering from UT Austin and went on to work for a large technology consulting firm as a Business Analyst. Business process engineering, requirements gathering and functional solution designing were some of my responsibilities. After over 1.5 years of consulting, I took a dramatic step of going solo backpacking for 6 months around various parts of India. I became a freelance photographer, writer and a blogger within a short span of 2 months. The experience taught me a lot and has brought me to where I am today: here at the prestigious McCombs School of Business.

Proudest Accomplishment:

Sustaining a positive mindset through the 6 months of rugged experience in rural parts of India is my proudest accomplishment. Challenges – such as going without food and collecting rain water to drink for 3 days, not being able to verbally communicate with anyone for a week, and feeling debilitated due to sickness while in a tribal village for 5 days – pushed me far beyond my comfort zone. Being a solo traveler, at every turn, I had to pick myself up and motivate myself to look beyond the discomforts. I feel proud to have gone through such a rigorous experience knowing that I am ready for more challenges in life ahead.

Why did you choose the MSF Program?

I had known Finance to be an area of interest since undergraduate. I would invest small amounts in the stock market and try to understand the dynamics and its drivers. Many of my friends went on to become finance professionals soon after college. Upon returning from my travels, I decided to pursue finance as a career. I appeared for the CFA Level I exam in December 2016 and passed it. After 4 months of rigorous studying for the exam, I realized there was not a moment when I felt stressed or disinterested. I knew Finance was definitely my field to pursue. When I applied to various MSF programs around the nation, Texas MSF was on the top of my list. Here I am today, a part of one of the most prestigious institutions in the world.

What are you most looking forward to in your program?

My highlight for this year is building new and long lasting friendships with my cohort. Going through classes, learning and building skills will surely be a priority, but I believe the company I keep for the rest of the year will truly determine the kind of experience I create for myself here at UT. Being surrounded by smart and driven individuals motivates me to go beyond my limits. Moreover, I hope to nurture professional relationships that will last beyond this year.

More on Texas MS Student Spotlight:

Texas MS #StudentSpotlight is a new feature showcasing the talent, background, and aspirations of the McCombs Master of Science Program students! Learn more about theĀ Texas Master of Science in Finance on our homepage.

Current Texas MS students interested in appearing in our student spotlight should contact their Program Coordinator regarding access to the Student Spotlight Survey.