The integrated MPA program is made up of hundreds of students with unique backgrounds and stories about how they got where they are today. Continue reading for a quick Q&A with our current iMPA students to get a firsthand look at their own experiences within the program.

Anoop Gazulapalli

Name: Anoop Gazulapalli
Hometown: Dallas, TX
Year: Rising 4th year iMPA student
Track: Financial Reporting and Assurance

Did you know you wanted to join the iMPA program once you got to UT as a freshman?
Coming into UT I was business/pre-med and had no intention of majoring in accounting. After a combination of taking and liking the intro accounting classes, learning about the iMPA program, and deciding not to pursue becoming a doctor anymore, majoring in accounting was an easy decision. Joining the program has been one of the best decisions I’ve made so far in my college career, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in accounting.

What is your favorite aspect of the iMPA program, and what has it brought you in terms of preparing you for success in your future career?
The best part of the program is being challenged academically by the professors, the classes, and my peers. The MPA program is preparing me to step into a future career, and I am confident that my time in the program has prepared me to be in a position to succeed.

Catherine SchellName: Catherine Schell
Hometown: Houston, TX
Year: Rising 4th year iMPA student
Track: Taxation

How did you decide the track for your degree plan?
I was not set on my track before recruiting, as I only had an idea of what the tax track involved through taking the into to tax course and talking to older iMPAs. I went through recruiting not fully set on doing the tax track, but once I found the company and the practice I was most interested in by talking to professionals, I decided it was the right track for me.

What was your favorite part of the recruiting process? What advice would you give incoming MPA students?
My favorite part of the recruiting process was getting to know the professionals and learning about the personalities of each firm and practice. I would recommend going to as many events as possible without overwhelming yourself. In the end, those events helped me make the most informed decision I could because they allowed me to evaluate all my options through getting to know the professionals.

Alejandra SolisName: Alejandra Solis
Hometown: The Woodlands, TX
Year: Rising 4th year iMPA student

How did decide which city you wanted to do your internship in?
At first, Houston seemed like the safe choice since I am from that area and I had already done some early recruiting with Houston offices. As second semester started, I quickly realized I wanted a change of scenery and have always loved visiting friends and family in New York City. I also wanted the challenge of starting in a big city with a diverse set of industries available.

Which MPA classes were your favorite this semester? Which did you find more difficult?
My favorite and also my hardest class was Financial Accounting Concepts (ACC 356). Taking it in the first semester of MPA was a big wake up call, as I had never had to study so much for a class before. It ended up being my favorite because I loved the cases we had to do, the discussion-based nature of the course, and how it challenged the misconception that accounting was a black and white subject.

Connor RennickName: Connor Rennick
Hometown: Dallas, TX
Year: Rising 5th year iMPA student

Tell us about your recent internship this spring. What were your favorite part of the experience?
My internship was unique because I did a “Build Your Own Internship” with KPMG, so half of my internship was in Audit and the other half was in Deal Advisory.  It was a really cool experience because I got to see two different careers in public accounting that are very different. Overall it was a great experience and I made some amazing relationships with people I’m going to be starting my career with!

What advice would you give incoming MPA students regarding the program layout?
My advice would be to fully invest yourself in the program and what it has to offer. We have so many useful resources as MPA students, so make sure to use them. I would also recommend doing research early in the process to figure out what you actually want to do after graduation. It will give you a better idea of what track to do and what classes will benefit you the most for your career. Make the effort to set yourself apart from everyone else and take every opportunity you can to meet meet people and you’ll be successful!

Trevor CarrName: Trevor Carr
Hometown: Tyler, Texas
Year: Rising 5th year iMPA student
Track: General

How did you decide between a Big 4 internship and an industry internship?
I am actually taking a less traditional route and will not be doing a typical accounting role outside of school. I went into the MPA program not anticipating wanting to be an accountant, but desiring the accounting skill set that the program provides and knew that what I learned during my three years would be applicable to my entire business career. Currently, I plan on working in finance after I graduate.

Do you have a long-term plan for your career in accounting?
I have aspirations of helping run or start my own business/non-profit organization. I believe my accounting background has given me a great foundation and will help differentiate me in a variety of ways in the years ahead. I would encourage students who are curious about other fields of business outside of accounting to consider the Generalist MPA track because it affords you the opportunity to pick and choose a variety of graduate (MBA) elective classes that might help you explore other interests.