Valerie’s Profile

Hometown: Fresno, California

MPA Track: Taxation

Class Status: Traditional MPA

Estimated Graduation Date: Summer 2012

Why did you choose the MPA program?

The Short Answer: The people.

The Details: I worked during my undergraduate career and my interactions with clients taught me that accounting is central in business decision making and something that not enough people understand. As I began to learn about accounting to try to answer my clients’ questions, or at least point them in the right direction, I found that I enjoyed this type of thinking and work. After deciding to pursue a formal accounting education I started looking into school options. In some ways I think I applied to UT just to see if I could get in, and when I did I thought I should come visit.

After my visit the decision to accept their offer was easy. I came here for the people who were all professional and helpful and since arriving as a student I have continued to be impressed by the faculty and support staff with whom I have had the privilege of working.

What do you want to do when you graduate from the MPA program?

The Short Answer: Continue my education in the field.

The Details: I am currently working with the MPA career services staff and the resources they provide to find a good position and company match where I will get hands on practice with all the concepts I am being introduced to this year.

Where are your favorite places to go and favorite things to do in Austin?

The Short Answer: EAT

The Details: There isn’t a restaurant I’ve been to in Austin that hasn’t impressed me. My favorite comfort spots are Taco Deli with their amazing breakfast tacos and delicious fresh salsa and HomeSlice Pizza.