MPA Student Profile – Aris Sevastianos

Name: Aris Sevastianos
Hometown:
 St. Louis, MO
MPA track: Financial Reporting & Assurance
Class status: 3rd Year
Graduation date:
 May 2020

Why did you choose the MPA program?
Coming from Missouri, I can confidently attest that the MPA program here is extremely reputable. The alumni that I’ve spoken to both in high school and during my time at UT have always had the best things to say about the program, and suggested that I give it a look. After taking my first two accounting classes during my sophomore year, I knew this was the right program for me. Now as a student, I’ve been able to explore multiple avenues in a variety of industries, all while taking classes with top professors in an engaging classroom environment. If anything else, earning a master’s degree in five years from a #1 program is pretty efficient.

What do you look forward to most about your MPA experience?
Definitely recruiting – many firms throughout the world constantly hire Texas MPA students; being able to get valuable exposure to these firms, their clientele, and the cities in which they operate is an exciting time to discover your passions for a full-time career.

What activities have you been involved in outside of school?
I’ve been able to get involved in a variety of opportunities and organizations since coming to UT. In June 2016, I joined a UT student-run peer-to-peer tutoring startup called @Top Tier Learning. As CFO, I expanded our company to eight states and sixteen branches, strategically restructured our pricing structure, established our philanthropic partnership with Big Brothers & Big Sisters, and raised and allocated capital for our mobile app. Outside of Top Tier Learning, I am involved in Texas IFC as Director of Philanthropy, Orthodox Christian Fellowship as Vice President, Delta Tau Delta, and Delta Sigma Pi. Whenever I get the chance to go back home, I enjoy spending time with my family and playing pick-up soccer with my high school friends.

What led you to accounting?
I’ve always been strong with math and organization; the field just seemed naturally fitting.

What advice do you have for students interested in the MPA program?
Talk to upperclassmen and professors; their insight is unparalleled. They’re by far the best resource for learning about what to expect from the program. I guarantee they’ll be more than eager to share their experiences in and out of the classroom with you.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
Definitely McCombs – although the building can seem serious and intimidating, it’s a much smaller community than you think. It’s always fun to run into friends between classes or during a study break.

Where are your favorite places to go and favorite things to do in Austin?
My favorite types of US cities are those that cleverly integrate both urbanism and nature into their communities; Austin lives by this idea incredibly well. Given that, I love going downtown to kayak or run along the trails next to Town Lake. I also love healthy ethnic food, which isn’t hard to find around here. Side note, however, I’m still yet to come across some Greek food and am open to any suggestions. Craving a fat souvlaki at the moment…