Reality Check

BackpackStudents entering the tMPA program who did not major in accounting for their undergrad are asked to attend class for a 5-week summer session in order to get up to speed for fall courses. At first blush, it sounds somewhat hard to believe: take two accounting classes and catch up to students who took two years’ worth of accounting. Not only have these summer courses taught me more than I thought possible in this short amount of time, but also they have revealed the intentions of the program and the expectations of the students.

Having taken a couple of summer courses in undergrad, I expected Financial Accounting and Introduction to Taxation to follow a similar, relaxed pace. Boy, was I wrong! They are much more grueling than even my toughest undergraduate courses. Truly, I am glad to have found my study group so quickly (thanks to the MPA-sponsored pizza party the week prior to class) because we have had 4 tests in the past 4 weeks and are preparing for 2 more tests and 2 projects over the upcoming week. Thankfully, we’ll have a couple of days off before Orientation starts, and then we get to meet the rest of our class.

While dealing with the blistering pace of summer courses, however, I’ve realized I am not here to make easy A’s. In fact, I’m not at this program to check a box and take 30 hours. I chose the Texas MPA because I have only one year to get the best education I can. Additionally, it gives me the chance to recruit with top firms, work alongside the smartest students, and learn from a superb faculty. If such an opportunity means late nights and early mornings, then I will take those gladly because I know many people would gladly trade places with me right now.