Happy Holidays, everyone! I hope you all survived finals. I know it can be a rough time of year.
This is the first MPA blog from California!
If not, my apologies to the MPA blogger of the past for stealing your thunder.
Spring recruiting is coming up for us third-years, and I wanted to highlight a few of my favorite cities that I will be visiting over the holidays. Don’t be afraid to recruit for an internship in a city that isn’t Austin. Of course, Austin is one of the best cities in the world, but let’s not forget the other contenders.
First stop, San Francisco!
I’m here in San Francisco visiting some family and am reminded of my love for the city. There is just so much to do and see.
Disclaimer: All Big 4 firms have offices in San Fran, as well as tons of midcap and boutique firms. Could be a good life for an accountant!
There are lots of great things to do in and around the city, as well. Some of my favorite spots are:
1. Exploratorium: This famous science museum in San Fran is fun for everyone. I have always been a nerd, and I proudly embrace it. Thus, my first time at the Exploratorium I was wide-eyed and grinning the whole time. And to this day, it is still an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. If we are being honest, when I visit the Exploratorium today, I probably still sport the same cheesy grin I did when I was a kid.
2. The Cable Cars: Sorry to get all nostalgic on you, but if you watched Full House, admit that you have always wanted to ride on a cable car since you saw DJ jump on one in the opening credits of the show.
3. Pier 39: It wouldn’t be a blog about San Fran if I didn’t mention Pier 39/Fisherman’s Wharf. I think the first time I saw the sea lions here I was about 3 years old, and they still crack me up. Pier 39 is a great place for anyone to get a feel for the city.
4. Alcatraz: Sorry if you saw Escape From Alcatraz with Clint Eastwood and are permanently scarred from visiting the prison. It really is an awesome tour and if you actually get a chance to walk around Alcatraz, you’ll learn so much about the prison. To my fearless readers, I suggest a night tour- SPOOKY.
5. The Golden Gate: it is one of the most photographed sights in the world for a reason. It is beautiful and something that should be on everyone’s bucket list.
Next stop, Boston! Happy Holidays!