Auditing a class

This semester I am auding the Oil & Gas Accounting class. Since I will be working in Houston and have no experience with the oil & gas industry, I thought it would be useful to take this class. However, in order to get credit from my university in Mexico for the classes I’m taking here (I’m part of a double degree program with Tecnologico de Monterrey), there’s a list of classes that I have to take during my year here and Oil & Gas Accounting was not on that list. Therefore, auditing the class was my solution.

What does auditing a class mean?
It means that you go to the class and listen to the lectures, but do not earn credit for taking the class.

How can I audit a class?
I talked to the professor and asked for his permision. He signed a form I printed from the Registrar’s Web site and then I took it to my academic dean’s office for approval. I also suggest that you talk to your academic advisor first, so that you know if auditing a class is the best choice for you.

What can I do when I audit a class?
You can attend classes and take as many notes as you’d like. In my case, the professor has been very helpful. He suggested that I ask a friend for the PowerPoint presentations (since I don’t have access to Blackboard for that class) or send him an e-mail and he’d send them to me. I bought the book for the class and read all the chapters just as if it were another one of my classes.

What can’t I do when I audit a class?
  • Participate in class discussions
  • Hand in papers or homework assignments
  • Take exams or quizzes
  • Earn any credit