Favorites of Austin

The Oasis
The Oasis

The majority of my blogs have been focused on either academic or career issues that I have encountered here at UT and have provided very little insight into the life I am able to live outside of the classroom. There is a rising joke among college students that college life is very simple and all decisions fall into one of three categories: Sleep, Studying, Social Life. The 3 S’s! But after reading into the “fine print” of the system, you discover the punch line…you can only pick two of the categories. I chose to sacrifice sleep knowing full well there is nothing a Monster Energy drink can’t fix.

As such, when I finally get a break from school, I am able to enjoy the following ten things while I spend my time in here in A-TX!

10. Favorite Place to Run: Town Lake (now known as Ladybird Lake). It can be crowded on the weekends, but the terrain is way better than weaving through traffic in the city.

9. Favorite Pizza Place: Mellow Mushroom. It takes 20-30 minutes to get your food because they make it all by hand, but the unique flavors make it all worth it.

8. Favorite Movie Venue: Alamo Draft House. At either the Ritz venue on 6th Street or the South Lamar location, the idea of combining food and a movie, uber convenient!

7. Favorite Sporting Event: Ultimate Frisbee. Joining in and playing Ultimate Frisbee pickup games at the IM fields, outside the San Jacinto dormitory, or inside the Quad residence hall is more fun than any football/basketball/soccer game I have been to as a fan.

6. Favorite TV Show: The Office. There is just something appealing about a comedy show that makes fun of the corporate lifestyle I am about to enter.

5. Favorite Happy Hour: Split between Sago and Trudy’s. I am a margarita fanatic and the margaritas at Sago are the best in Austin, but Trudy’s has a better atmosphere.

4. Favorite view in Austin: The patio at The Oasis. I have always wanted to live on a lake and I like watching the sunset on a warm summer day.

3. Favorite Radio Station: 100.7 KASE. I am becoming a huge country fan with a liking for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood’s music.

2. Favorite “pass-time”: GoogleMonstering. My girlfriend gave me the title so it functions as both a noun and a verb, and I am pretty sure I should go get it trademarked, but apparently my thirst for learning anything and everything will often cause me to run out of the room just to get to a computer and Google something and try to obtain answers.

1. Favorite day of the week: Thursday. Class gets out and I actually get a chance to do most of these things!

Welcome to my life!

2 thoughts on “Favorites of Austin”

1. The Oasis would be the first thing on our list in our Austin dating! New York is great but I think nothing is compared with Austin’s charm!