Beyond those professionals

One of the most valuable things the MPA Program has to offer is its great faculty. In every class you have an outstanding professor with great experience in the subject and a true commitment to share that experience with the students. Besides, all the professors have an open door to students (whether it is during office hours, after class, or even via e-mail), so they really give you a chance to approach them with any doubts you have. I am really grateful that I have never been neglected an opportunity to talk to one professor and clarify my doubts.

However, seeing the professor in class or during office hours might not be enough to develop a positive, constructive relationship between students and professors. As part of the MPA Faculty Lunch Series, students are invited to have lunch with their professors so that they can meet in a more relaxed atmosphere. Last Tuesday I was able to attend a lunch with Professor Mark Bradshaw, from my Introduction to Assurance class.

I think it was a very valuable experience, since it gave me the opportunity to meet my professor outside the typical class environment and with only 10 more people in the room. This allowed for a more personal conversation, where we could talk about almost everything we wanted (from the professor’s professional experience to his life outside the university to the things we like/dislike about his class).

Sometimes it is easy to see professors just as proficient professionals highly commited to teaching you about a certain subject. However, I think my experience in the MPA has been far more valuable after learning to see beyond the professionals standing in front of the classroom, to see them as the persons they are, with many experiences that had lead them down this road. It is even inspirational to see how someone who started probably just as you are right now, has succeeded and accomplished many things.

I would highly recommend attending one of these lunches if you are presented with the opportunity of doing so. I will certainly do it again if I can.