The Hogwarts of Our Time

As I have progressed into my fifth and final year here at McCombs, I find myself wanting more from my education. Academically, the MPA program continues to be a challenge at every twist and turn of this path I am on, but I feel that this program could serve as much more. Within the B-School, we are a dominate group. We are respected, honored, and often even admired for our hard work and dedication. Collectively, we are four groups of 250± students that are all striving for one common purpose; graduation from the finest MPA program in the country. While each of is in a different part of our degree program, ranging from third-years in the integrated approach all the way up to the fifth-years and traditional, we have much more in common than one might think.

It is this link that I wish to call on to build unity. Instead of being divided by class year, let us mingle together. Instead of acting segregated because one side is Tax and the other Audit, let us cross our academic paths. Instead of being divided by Big 4 firm or mid-cap, let us join as the greater group of future professionals.

When I set out to write this, I had every intention of comparing what I have been asking for to Harry Potter. This may sound silly but it is not a stretch of the imagination to assume that the majority of us know a little bit about HP. The famous book series uses a four house system to spur competition and comaraderie, to build connections and friendships, and to provide comfort for those searching for a place to belong. I know, this sounds like exchanging one sense of segregation for another, but in its truest sense; these “houses” are only a starting point for building unity and at no point are meant for segregation.  Just like in HP, these “MPA Houses” would contain students from all of the tracks, from each of the different class years, and from each of the firms!

Year-around IM sport competitions could be the quidditch of our day, large study groups would spur up in metaphorical common rooms, and where as the wizarding world makes trips to Hogsmeade, our weekend trips would be to Sixth Street.  A level of unity would begin to form as we each progress to passing our OWLs Exams and NEWTs CPA.

Now I understand that many people may find this idea to be immature or dumb, but I am hoping they understand the bigger point I am making is that the MPA program has the potential to build a network among us that many of us have failed to imagine. Connections can be made between us that are more than just faces and names, but an interlinked web of accounting students who could turn an education into more than just academics. It is in this idea of “MPA Houses” that I feel I could find everything I have been looking for in my education.  (And yes, I contest that the word ‘education’ extends far beyond the classroom.)