The University of Texas at Austin will have a spring break next week (March 12-16). The university offices, including the MPA Program Office, will remain open, but classes will not be in session.
Also, don’t forget that Daylight Saving Time begins for most of the U.S. and many parts of the world on Sunday, March 11!
You may have reviewed the MPA class profile and wondered, “Who, exactly, are MPA students? Why did they decide to attend The University of Texas at Austin for their graduate accounting degree? What do they like best about the MPA program, the UT campus and living in Austin?” The profiles of our MPA student ambassadors and the student profiles in Live and Learn, the MPA student blog, will give you a closer look at our students and their reasons for choosing the Texas MPA.
MPA Student Profile – Natalie Allen
MPA Student Profile – Dillon Barclay
MPA Student Profile – Kexin Shuai
Why should you attend the MPA program at UT-Austin? Consider this…
1) Top-Ranked Accounting: The McCombs School of Business graduate and undergraduate accounting programs are Ranked #1 with U.S. News and the Public Accounting Report. What contributes to our reputation for excellence?
2) High Quality Campus: The University of Texas at Austin is ranked highly in the nation and the world. Attending a top national university offers distinct advantages, such as access to
3) Great Place to Live: Would you like to live in a city that offers a relatively moderate cost of living and other attractive features? The city of Austin regularly tops many rankings, such as the city most likely to prosper over the next 10 years, one of the top cities for job seekers and fastest growing city. Austin offers great weather and plenty of outdoor activities in a laid-back, friendly environment and consistently receives high accolades for quality of life, innovation, employment opportunities, cost of living…and the list goes on….
4) Longhorn Spirit: The University of Texas at Austin is filled with history and traditions and plenty of exciting athletic events.
Want to learn more about our program from a student’s perspective? Read Live and Learn, our student blog, or contact an MPA student ambassador.
The Texas MPA program decided to extend the Fall 2018 U. S. application deadline to March 31 to provide applicants with additional time to submit their application materials.
Keep in mind that we review applications on a continuous basis, in the order of file completion, and cannot guarantee space availability. As a result, I recommend that you submit all application materials as soon as possible rather than waiting until the final deadline.
As a reminder, you can track the status of your materials online in the application status check.
Texas MPA merit scholarships are offered to admitted U. S. applicants who demonstrate a superior record of academic accomplishment in their application materials. In addition, out-of-state tuition waivers are awarded each year to a select group of high-achieving non-Texas residents. Admitted applicants are considered automatically for these awards; a separate application is not required. Here are a few details:
- If you are admitted, the MPA Program Office will notify you via e-mail prior to your MPA admission response deadline if you are awarded an MPA Merit Scholarship and/or out-of-state tuition waiver.
- If your admissions response deadline is approaching and you haven’t received notification of a scholarship award, please feel free to contact me so that I can update you on the status of our scholarships.
- Due to limited funding, international applicants are not eligible for departmental recruiting scholarships and therefore should be prepared to meet all expenses from their own resources.
For information about other financial aid options, please visit our financial aid website.
The international application review is well under way. We will begin to release admissions decisions soon and continue to do so throughout the rest of the month. You will receive an e-mail notification after a decision has been entered, and the decision will be posted on the application status check page.
We thank you for your application and interest in the Texas MPA!
We encourage prospective and admitted applicants to visit the Texas MPA program to learn more about Austin, the MPA curriculum, career opportunities, our faculty, and the MPA experience.
Admitted applicants are invited to attend MPA Preview Day on either Friday, February 9 or Friday, March 23, to explore the MPA program, meet your future classmates and celebrate your admission.
Admitted applicants who are unable to attend MPA Preview Day and all other prospective students can arrange a personalized visit by submitting the visit form to the MPA Program Office at least two weeks prior to your planned visit.
We look forward to meeting you!
Discover the various ways The University of Texas at Austin was recognized as one of the best universities in 2017!
University of Texas at Austin 2017 Rankings from University of Texas at Austin.
If you are seeking scholarship opportunities for the Texas MPA program, be sure to check your eligibility to apply for an AICPA scholarship. The majority of the scholarships have an March 1 application deadline and are limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Scholarships include (but are not limited to):
- The John L. Carey Scholarship: provides financial assistance to liberal arts and non-business undergraduate degree holders who are pursuing both graduate studies in accounting and CPA licensure. Amount: $5,000/year
- The AICPA Minority Scholarship: provides financial awards to full-time minority students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting or an accounting-related major. Amount: $1,000-$5,000/year
Many of our students have received these awards in the past. I would strongly encourage you to apply!
I hope you all enjoyed a relaxing holiday season! Here is an update on the status of our application reviews.
- We have been reviewing completed U.S. applications and releasing decisions on a rolling basis. Admitted applicants will be considered automatically for a possible recruiting scholarship; a separate application is not required. If you are awarded a scholarship, you will be notified via e-mail prior to your response deadline. The final U.S. application deadline is March 1.
- The international application deadline was January 5. The application review will begin in late January, and decisions will be released in February. Please be sure to submit all of your supplemental application materials no later than mid-January if you would like your application to be considered in the first round of admissions decisions. Also, please send me a copy of your GMAT or TOEFL score reports if they have not been posted to your application record yet.
You will receive an e-mail notification after a decision has been entered, and the decision will be posted on the application status check page. As always, please contact me if you have any questions or concerns about your application.