The MPA program has extended the Fall 2015 U.S. application deadline to March 31 to provide you with additional time to submit your application materials.
Keep in mind that we review files on a continuous basis, in the order of completion, and cannot guarantee space availability. As a result, I recommend that you submit all application materials as soon as possible rather than waiting until the final deadline.
As a reminder, you can track the status of your application online in My Status.
The Department of Accounting faculty recently approved a new course waiver policy for the traditional MPA curriculum starting in Fall 2015.
The MPA degree requires the completion of 43 semester hours of coursework, as outlined in the degree requirement summary, unless a student qualifies for core course waivers. Our recently-approved policy will grant up to 4 course waivers (12 hours), rather than two course waivers, based on equivalent coursework completed. As a result, a student who qualifies for 4 waivers will complete a 31-hour program, the minimum requirement for the MPA degree.
- Students with an undergraduate degree in accounting typically qualify for the maximum course waivers and complete a 31-hour program. A 31-hour program can be completed in the fall and spring or in the fall, spring, and summer. Students who participate in employment recruiting in the fall are encouraged to balance their schedule by completing fewer courses in the fall and extending graduation to early summer.
- Students with an undergraduate degree in non-accounting business typically qualify for one to four waivers based on previous coursework and complete between a 31- to 40-hour program. Students must begin in the summer if they do not qualify for the ACC 381-financial accounting waiver and can graduate by spring or summer, depending on the required credit hours.
- Students with an undergraduate degree in an area outside of accounting or business typically complete a maximum 43-hour program. A 43-hour program can be completed in the summer, fall, spring, and following summer. However, students who opt to complete an internship often graduate in the fall. Internships are not required but can be counted as 3 hours of credit toward the MPA degree.
Our Estimated Program Costs web page has been updated to reflect the reduced minimum program hours.
We encourage admitted applicants to visit the Texas MPA program to learn more about our city, curriculum, career opportunities, faculty, and students. To arrange a personalized visit, please submit the form for admitted applicants to the MPA Program Office at least two weeks prior to your planned visit.
If you have not been admitted to the MPA program, please submit the visit form for prospective students.
We look forward to meeting with you!
MPA merit scholarships are offered to admitted U.S. applicants who demonstrate a superior record of academic accomplishment in their application materials. In addition, out-of-state tuition waivers are awarded each year to a select group of high-achieving non-Texas residents. Admitted applicants are considered automatically for these awards; a separate application is not required. Please note the following:
- If you are admitted, the MPA Program Office will notify you via e-mail prior to your MPA admission response deadline if you are awarded an MPA Merit Scholarship and/or out-of-state tuition waiver.
- If your admissions response deadline is approaching and you haven’t received notification of a scholarship award, please feel free to contact me so that I can update you on the status of our scholarships.
- Due to limited funding, international applicants are not eligible for departmental recruiting scholarships and therefore should be prepared to meet all expenses from their own resources.
For information about other financial aid options, please visit our financial aid website.
I hope you all enjoyed a relaxing holiday season! Many of you are anxiously awaiting our decision, so I thought I would provide you with an update on the status of our application reviews.
- The MPA admissions committee is reviewing U.S. applications and will begin releasing decisions on a rolling basis soon. Admitted applicants will be considered automatically for a possible recruiting scholarship; a separate application is not required. If you are awarded a scholarship, you will be notified via e-mail prior to your response deadline.
- The international application review will begin in mid- to late January, and decisions will be released in February. If your file was not complete by the January 5 application deadline, please be sure to submit all of your application materials no later than mid-January if you would like your application to be considered in the first round of admissions decisions. Also, please send me a copy of your GMAT or TOEFL score reports if they have not been posted to your application record yet.
You will receive an e-mail notification after a decision has been entered, and the decision will be posted on the application status check page. As always, please contact me if you have any questions or concerns about your application.
International applicants: Your application deadline is quickly approaching! Be sure to continuously monitor the status of your application materials in the online application status check. What if your application is not complete by January 5?
- Please keep me updated on the status of your outstanding application materials. If your file is not complete by the application deadline or very shortly thereafter, we will do what we can to include your file in the first round of admissions decisions; however, if your application materials arrive too late, we cannot guarantee it. As a result, make every attempt to complete your application as close to the application deadline as possible.
- If your TOEFL/IELTS or GMAT scores have not been posted to your application record by January 5, please contact me and let me know the date that you requested your score report to be sent to The University of Texas at Austin. Additionally, send me a copy of the unofficial results if you have received them.
- Your application will not be considered complete and subsequently forwarded to our department for a decision until all application materials, including the official score reports, have been received. On average, it takes 4 weeks for the score report to be sent, received, and loaded to an applicant’s record.
Do you have any concerns about your application? Please do not hesitate to contact me. I am here to help!
Reminder: All international applications will be reviewed after the January 5 application deadline, not on a rolling basis.
The University of Texas at Austin will be closed for the holidays from Monday, December 22 through Thursday, January 1. In addition, I will be out of the office until January 5 with limited access to email. If you need immediate assistance while I am out, please call the MPA Program Office at (512) 471-6559 for program-specific questions, or contact the Graduate and International Admissions Center if you are having technical difficulties with your application materials.
I hope you enjoy the holidays, and Happy New Year!
I submitted all application materials already. When can I expect to receive a decision?
Decisions on U.S. applications that are completed* by the December 1 early deadline are typically released in approximately mid-January, after UT-Austin’s winter break. Thereafter, decisions are typically released approximately one month after file completion.
All decisions on international applications* are made after the January 5 application deadline.
*Please note that all materials, including official test scores, must be received in order for an application to be considered complete and reviewed for a decision. Be sure to check the status of your application on a regular basis to ensure timely completion.
I have been admitted to another university and the acceptance deadline is approaching, yet I haven’t received an admission decision from the Texas MPA program. Is there anything I can do to receive an earlier decision?
If you should receive an admission offer from another university and need to respond to the offer before you receive a decision from the Texas MPA program, please e-mail the name of the university and the admission response deadline to Keri Ledezma. Although the admissions committee cannot guarantee an earlier admission decision, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
How will I find out if I am accepted into the MPA program?
Your decision will be immediately posted on the Application Status Check page, and you will receive an e-mail notification from the Graduate and International Admissions Center once a decision has been reached. Students who are accepted to the MPA program also will receive an e-mail notification from the MPA Program Office with instructions for accepting or declining the admission offer.
AUSTIN, Texas — U.S. News & World Report has ranked The University of Texas at Austin No. 30 in the world in its first-ever Global University Rankings, marking the fourth time this year a prestigious international group has placed UT Austin among the best international universities.
Texas MPA applicants:
The MPA program has developed a new resume format for the MPA admissions application. We strongly suggest that you follow the MPA Application Resume Guidelines and the MPA Application Resume Template when formatting and constructing your resume.
This policy is effective for all applications completed after December 1. If you completed your application by December 1, you do not need to resubmit your resume in the MPA format, although you may do so, if you prefer.*
Am I required to submit my resume in the MPA format?
Submitting your resume in the MPA format is not required but highly recommended. If you are admitted and decide to attend the MPA program, you will need to update your resume in this format if you wish to participate in employment recruiting.
Can MPA staff assist me in constructing my resume?
Due to substantial MPA applicant volume, the MPA admissions and career services staff are unable to assist applicants with resume content or format. However, we have provided detailed guidelines, a list of action words and a Word template to assist you. If admitted, you will use this format again during the MPA recruiting process and receive individualized attention from our MPA career consultants. They will work with you to fine-tune your resume content to maximize its effectiveness.
How can I submit an updated resume under the new MPA format?
*Updated resumes can be submitted in the document upload system.