We are quickly approaching the final March 31 deadline. If you are interested in applying to the Texas MPA program and haven’t done so, you will have until 11:59 p.m. CDT on Friday, March 31 to submit your online application from the ApplyTexas system. Be sure to submit all required application materials as soon as possible because space in our incoming class is limited.
Please note that it will take about 3 weeks for your official GMAT scores to be sent, received, and loaded to your UT application record. I recommend that you send me an email message with an unofficial report, in the meantime, if your official scores do not arrive by March 31.
If you have any questions or concerns about your application, please contact me.
If you are seeking scholarship opportunities for the Texas MPA program, be sure to check your eligibility to apply for an AICPA scholarship. The majority of the scholarships have an April 1 application deadline. Scholarships include (but are not limited to):
- The John L. Carey Scholarship: provides financial assistance to liberal arts and other non-business related degree holders who are pursuing graduate studies in accounting and the CPA designation. Amount: $5,000/year
- The AICPA Minority Scholarship: provides awards to outstanding undergraduate and graduate minority students who plan to pursue the CPA licensure. Amount: $1,000-$5,000/year
- The AICPA/Accountemps Student Scholarship: provides financial assistance to undergraduate & graduate-level students who are seeking the CPA license. Amount: $10,000/year
Many of our students have received these awards in the past. I would strongly encourage you to apply!
The University of Texas at Austin will have a spring break next week (March 13-17). The university offices, including the MPA Program Office, will remain open, but classes will not be in session.
Also, don’t forget that Daylight Saving Time begins for most of the U.S. and many parts of the world on Sunday, March 12!
Why Should You Attend the Texas MPA Program? Consider This…
1) Top-Ranked Accounting: The McCombs School of Business graduate and undergraduate accounting programs are Ranked #1 with U.S. News and the Public Accounting Report. What contributes to our reputation for excellence?
2) High Quality Campus: The University of Texas at Austin is ranked highly in the nation and the world. Attending a top national university offers distinct advantages, such as access to
3) Great Place to Live: Would you like to live in a city that offers a relatively moderate cost of living and other attractive features? The city of Austin regularly tops many rankings, such as the city most likely to prosper over the next 10 years, best city for job seekers and fastest growing city. Austin offers great weather and plenty of outdoor activities in a laid-back, friendly environment and consistently receives high accolades for quality of life, innovation, employment opportunities, cost of living…and the list goes on….
4) Longhorn Spirit: The University of Texas at Austin is filled with history and traditions and plenty of exciting athletic events.
Want to learn more about our program from a student’s perspective? Read Live and Learn, our student blog, or contact an MPA student ambassador.
The Texas MPA program decided to extend the Fall 2017 U.S. application deadline to March 31 to provide applicants with additional time to submit their application materials.
Keep in mind that we review applications on a continuous basis, in the order of file completion, and cannot guarantee space availability. As a result, I recommend that you submit all application materials as soon as possible rather than waiting until the final deadline.
As a reminder, you can track the status of your materials online in the application status check.
The students from the MPA Class of 2016 are already demonstrating great success! At the time of graduation:
- 98% accepted offers of employment. 1% opted to continue their education post-MPA.
- 90% of our international MPA graduates accepted offers of employment. 3% opted to continue their education post-MPA.
Our MPA graduates opted for full-time employment in 21 states throughout the Southwest (75%), East (10%), West (9%), South (3%) and Midwest (3%) and with a variety of employers:
- 4% consulting
- 5% industry
- 4% investment banking and other financial services
- 87% public accounting (including advisory services)
The international application review is well under way. We will begin to release admissions decisions soon and continue to do so throughout the rest of the month. You will receive an e-mail notification after a decision has been entered, and the decision will be posted on the application status check page.
We thank you for your application and interest in the Texas MPA!
We encourage admitted applicants to visit the Texas MPA program to learn more about Austin, the MPA curriculum, career opportunities, our faculty, and the MPA experience. To arrange a personalized visit, please submit the visit form to the MPA Program Office at least two weeks prior to your planned visit.
We look forward to meeting with you!
Texas MPA merit scholarships are offered to admitted U.S. applicants who demonstrate a superior record of academic accomplishment in their application materials. In addition, out-of-state tuition waivers are awarded each year to a select group of high-achieving non-Texas residents. Admitted applicants are considered automatically for these awards; a separate application is not required. Please note the following:
- If you are admitted, the MPA Program Office will notify you via e-mail prior to your MPA admission response deadline if you are awarded an MPA Merit Scholarship and/or out-of-state tuition waiver.
- If your admissions response deadline is approaching and you haven’t received notification of a scholarship award, please feel free to contact me so that I can update you on the status of our scholarships.
- Due to limited funding, international applicants are not eligible for departmental recruiting scholarships and therefore should be prepared to meet all expenses from their own resources.
For information about other financial aid options, please visit our financial aid website.
Originally published in UT NEWS
Discover how UT Austin was recognized as one of the best universities in 2016!