Student Spotlight: Christy Zhuang

Christy Zhuang

After just one semester at college, Christy Zhuang has already made her mark on the Forty Acres—one picture at a time. Whether she is taking headshots for Honors Business Association members or capturing athletes in action as a UT RecSports photographer, Christy has kept herself busy as a first-year Canfield BHP student, photographer, and entrepreneur.

Read on to learn more about Christy’s entrepreneurial journey and her future plans for her business and career!

How did you first become interested in photography?

My photography journey began in 6th grade when I was on the yearbook staff. I despised taking photos on a camera, as I never understood how to work it. Plus, being a typical middle school student, I trusted my phone to do everything, including taking professional photos. I was a cross-country manager for the Ballinger Cross Country Team three years later. Not only was I in charge of keeping time or getting water, but the head coach also trusted me to run social media and overtake marketing for the team. I began taking photos on my phone of the runners during meets and would then upload them onto social media to share with the community, friends, and family. I received many compliments and positive feedback from the community. It was then that I realized how special photos are to people, especially those who are cheering their loved ones on from afar. They do say, “A photo is a ticket back in time to a moment otherwise gone.” Soon after, my dad bought me a Canon Rebel T7 Camera for my birthday in January 2021. Needless to say, my business took flight not long after.

How did your interest in photography spark your interest in entrepreneurship and lead to the creation of your business?

Once I received my camera, I was asked to take formal portraits of upperclassmen. They trusted me knowing my background and seeing my portfolio in sports photography. I charged a very small fee and delivered the photos promptly. I realized that I could capitalize on my talent. With my parents being hard-working immigrants, making me a first-generation student, I was determined to help out in any way that I could.  Having photography as a business meant that I had the financial freedom to purchase the things that I wanted and be able to pay business expenses. I loved the freedom photography gave me as I was able to create and be inspired by everything around me. I was able to set my hours and schedule sessions only when I wanted to, which helped my work-life balance. With my parents being restaurant owners and property managers, I was surrounded by entrepreneurs. I felt motivated and determined to start something of my own and shape it uniquely to my vision and passion.

What is your favorite part about being an entrepreneur?

Freedom is my favorite part about being an entrepreneur. I have always been an independent person, and photography allows me to be self-sustaining. Being able to pay and buy things through the money that I earned is extremely rewarding.

On the other hand, my favorite thing about photography is the new people I get to meet. It’s a special moment when a person or family trusts you to capture their core memories in life. Being able to make a difference in their life by creating a lasting impact is the best feeling in the world. An even greater feeling is when the client returns year after year and trusts you repeatedly with multiple different events in their lifetime. Those are the best of clients who turn into lifelong friends.

What challenge(s) have you faced, and what lessons have you learned while managing your business?

A challenge that I have faced is people disrespecting my work. Photography is a work of art. Therefore, whenever someone puts a filter over an image of mine that I took the time to edit and touch up, it is not a true reflection of my work and my brand as a business. To combat this, I have posted announcements regarding this issue, as it is illegal to do and is a copyright violation. When it does occur, I kindly ask the individual(s) to take down the image.

A lesson that I have learned is to charge for what I am worth. My time is valuable, and I should not let people use me for my talents and gain nothing in return. The skills that I have learned doing photography over time are invaluable and are knowledge that the average starting photographer does not know yet.

How has what you have learned in your Canfield BHP classes impacted your entrepreneurial endeavors?

In the fall, I took BA 324H, MAN 101H, and BA 101H. These classes contributed to the development of my character. BA 324H helped me become a better speaker in front of my peers. MAN 101H helped me understand myself better. BA 101H helped me envision my future and understand what needed to be done to achieve my goals.

Overall, these classes have laid a firm foundation for becoming a successful individual and a successful entrepreneur.

What are your future plans for your business?

Currently, I plan on continuing this passion of mine on the side and partaking in it minimally, as academics come first. In the future, I plan on having an in-home studio for clients and a studio in the city to rent out to other photographers. I plan on establishing a client closet (a wardrobe for clients to borrow for their sessions) and partnering with local printing companies to print photo books, yard signs, cards, etc. I am currently working on branded styling, location, and posing guides for the client’s personal use.

I also have an extension of graphic design services that I offer currently. In the future, I plan on expanding my knowledge in graphic design to better serve my clients.

What are your future career plans?

In the future, I plan on establishing a firm that combines consulting and marketing services. On the side, I aspire to be an interior designer who has a real estate license. Therefore, I would be able to design the homes, market the homes, sell the homes, and do real estate photography for the property.

In the far, far future, I would love to be a travel photographer, getting paid to travel and see the world through my lens and being able to share my love for life with my peers one click at a time.