Student Spotlight: Cassandra Guzman

Cassandra Guzman

During the school week, you’ll likely find Canfield BHP sophomore Cassandra Guzman working and studying for her business classes. But come Saturday, her focus turns to Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium and, more specifically, her responsibilities as a member of the UT Longhorn Band (LHB). Through several hours of practicing and performing, Cassandra has made great memories on and off the field with her bandmates, and she loves LHB’s tight-knit community.

Read on to learn more about Cassandra’s experience in LHB and Canfield BHP!

1.) How did you become involved in the UT Longhorn Band?

I have been involved in the Longhorn Band since my first semester of college. I heard about LHB when I was still in high school. I had a friend who had graduated and told me to audition, so I auditioned the week before my first semester in college. We had to send an audition video for the first round in May, and if we passed, we were invited to attend Band Week (a week before college starts) to audition. I’ve been in LHB since!

2.) What does a typical week look like as a member of the UT Longhorn Band?

A typical week as a member of LHB involves lots of rehearsing. We have rehearsal every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Along with that, Saturdays are for game days, so if we have a morning game, we have to be up and ready by 7 a.m. on Saturday; if the game is at night, we usually have to be ready by 10 a.m.! 

3.) What’s your favorite memory from the marching band?

My favorite memory from LHB was traveling to the Cotton Bowl Stadium for the 49-0 vs. OU game! The energy in that stadium was exhilarating, and I have never been to a football game where it felt SO good to win. In addition to the actual game, the saxes have their own traditions for OU weekend, which involves eating dinner together, staying in our own Airbnb, and getting to know each other better. It was a great bonding experience for the section and one of my favorite memories!

4.) What are some of the major takeaways/lessons you have learned from being a part of the UT Longhorn Band, and how does this experience tie into your broader goals?

One of the major lessons I have learned through LHB has definitely been time management. Of course, with such a busy schedule, you learn to get most things done before game days and to give yourself enough time to practice as well. Furthermore, LHB has taught me to pursue what I love, which has been to continue to play my instrument.  And the last major lesson that LHB has taught me is to appreciate my community and those around me. I know that I can depend on those in my section for anything that I need, and I will always do the same for them!

5.) In addition to your UT Longhorn Band community, how has your Canfield BHP community helped shape your college experience?

The Canfield BHP community has helped shape my college experience by teaching me to be more independent and disciplined with my studies. Additionally, it has shaped my experience by providing many opportunities that are worth attending, like networking opportunities and Canfield BHP events. Canfield BHP has helped me explore many different aspects of business (and beyond) that I was not aware of before!

6.) What has been your favorite Canfield BHP class and why?

My favorite class in Canfield BHP so far has been BA 324H: Business Communication with Dr. Prilipko. It was one of the first business honors classes that I had during my first semester of college, and it made me feel welcome to just be myself. The class was fun to attend, and Dr. Prilipko encouraged us to get out of our comfort zone. Along with improving my presentation and writing skills, I made my closest Canfield BHP friends in that class, and I still study with them for my classes today.