Brady_Williams-MeetFacultyBrady Williams, assistant professor, teaching Introduction to Taxation (ACC 355) in the spring

What attracted you to the position at McCombs?
On my visit to McCombs in late February, while doing my PhD at the University of Washington, I got the sense that each member of the faculty had some area of expertise, but they were also deep generalists who were willing to learn, ask questions, and give suggestions on a variety of research. They also seemed to be able to think very critically about ideas without being critical as individuals. This was an environment where I wanted to be.

I also am excited to be at a university with so much tradition and spirit.

How would you explain your area of research?
I study the way that taxes distort or change business decisions and the consequences of those tax-induced distortions.

How do you enjoy spending your free time?
My wife, Becky, and I have four kids under eight. Generally, we just like being outdoors. What we do outdoors depends on where we live, but hiking has been a common thread everywhere we’ve been.

EricChan-MeetFacultyEric Chan, assistant professor, teaching Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting (ACC 312H) in the fall

The Accounting Department is world-renowned for its excellence in research and teaching from the undergraduate to the graduate level. McCombs provides me with the opportunity to work with some of brightest minds in the field. The resources at McCombs are unparalleled and the research environment is dynamic and supportive. I also look forward to the opportunity to teach and influence the highly motivated students who will become the next generation of business leaders. To top it all off, Austin is a vibrant city with great food, music, and arts.

My research is in the area of managerial accounting and focuses on how employers design management control systems to influence worker behavior. I am interested in understanding why controls often fail to motivate workers to take organizationally desirable actions with the goal of helping firms design more effective controls. Using experiments and relying on economic and psychological theory, I explore how human factors such as their cognitive biases and social preferences could affect how workers respond to different control mechanisms.

I enjoy spending time with my family and recently became a father. I also enjoying playing the guitar — all types of music from rock to church hymns — watching sports, painting, and golfing.