Happy Pride Month! This June we are celebrating members of our LGBTQIA+ MBA community and talking to Full-Time MBA student Lindsey Scheinthal, co-president of eQual MBAs, about pronouns, allyship, and living authentically.

eQual MBAs at McCombs is a social and career networking student organization made up of members, friends, and supporters of the LGBTQ+ community. They are dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion within the Texas McCombs community.

Members of eQUAL on a zoom meeting

Members of eQUAL pose for a picture during a Zoom meeting.

Representation and Allyship 

eQual focuses a lot on educating people on pronoun usage and allyship by hosting workshops throughout the year to create a more inclusive environment. Since moving into the virtual space, members of eQual have advocated for adding pronouns to Zoom names. Even if you are cisgender (meaning you identify as the gender assigned at birth), adding pronouns to your bios, zoom names, or email signatures signifies that you are an ally and makes others feel included.

“For me, representation is everything. I believe it saves lives and makes people know that they are not alone.” says Lindsey. “I think that’s really important for all of us because when you have more representation you’re able to implement everything else a little bit easier.”

Inclusion and acceptance from others means a lot to Lindsey. She says she sometimes wonders if people know she’s gay and would accept her if they knew.

“My favorite thing is seeing people wear the eQual t-shirt with the rainbow longhorn,” says Lindsey. “You know, we just make assumptions about people…[you think] that person might not like me because I’m gay, and I’m nervous to say something. But then I go to class the next day and they’re rocking the eQual t-shirt, and how great of a feeling that is to see them wearing it.”

There is no way to be a perfect ally, Lindsay says. To her, it’s someone who is asking questions and is pushing themselves to continuously learn and be better.

“Everyone has a different idea of what an ally looks like, and I think it’s difficult to be the perfect ally. But I think as long as you’re trying to be better and listen and change and really hear the person next to you and where they’re coming from, that’s all we can ask for,” says Lindsey.

“I try to do my best to educate people. I really believe in representation. I try to continue to educate myself, because everything is constantly evolving.”

Living Authentically

While the LGBTQIA+ community at McCombs is a small group, Lindsey likes to think of eQual as small but mighty and hopes to encourage more LGBTQIA+ members to apply to business school.

Members of eQUAL pose in a rooftop swimming pool in downtown Austin.

black and white photo of Lindsey holding a rainbow pride flag that is in color.

Lindsey has been out since she was 17 and says it hasn’t always been easy. She has dealt with micro-aggressions, stereotypes, and mistreatment from others. To overcome this she lives by Michelle Obama’s famous words: “When they go low, we go high.”

“It hasn’t been easy but it’s their loss. I know I’m a great friend, I’m a great employee, and if [someone] is choosing not to be nice to me because of this one little aspect of my life, then it’s their loss,” she says.

“Life is too short, I’m just trying to enjoy every moment and like just being myself,” says Lindsey. “I don’t want to hide who I am ever.”

Pride Celebrations in Austin

At Texas McCombs, we strive to create a supportive community by partnering with Reaching Out MBA (ROMBA), a nonprofit organization that focuses on empowering LGBTQIA+ business students. In 2014 McCombs became one of the inaugural school partners of the ROMBA fellowship, which grants LGBTQ+ MBA Fellows with a minimum $20,000 scholarship and access to leadership programming. ROMBA also hosts events and an annual conference to educate and connect LGBTQIA+ business students through C-suite panels, workshops, competitions, receptions, and career fairs. This year the conference, which is the world’s largest gathering of LBGTQIA+ business students and alumni, will take place in Austin in October.  

Austin has many Pride Month celebrations around town in June but its official Pride festival and parade is held in August– this also gives the UT Austin student population, a very active part of the LGBTQIA+ community, the opportunity to volunteer and participate.

To connect with eQual MBAs, you can follow them on Instagram @equalmbs or email Sally and Lindsey at equalmbas@mccombs.utexas.edu.