This June we invited Beth Inglish, BBA ’05, to be a part of our Summer Webinar Series, during which she offered valuable guidance on the topic of “Leading for Creative Performance with Emotional Wellness”. You can view a recording of her presentation here. Recently we spoke with Beth about her time at McCombs, and about her flourishing career as a creative and marketing consultant. 

Please talk about your experience as a student here at McCombs. 

Going to The University of Texas was a dream come true! After visiting the campus numerous times during high school for state solo and ensemble band competitions I knew Austin was where I wanted to be. I applied to McCombs because I knew I was a leader. I wasn’t sure how, but deep down I knew I was meant to lead and McCombs would amplify that skill. First semester, I immediately joined the Freshman Business Association, made friends, and branched out into new activities from there. I also studied abroad in Paris, France with a group of marketing students during my junior year and had the experience of a lifetime.

How did your educational experience change you?

Being a student at McCombs taught me how to be professional. I learned how to write, speak, and act like a business professional, which has been my competitive advantage in the fine art industry. I was exposed to so many incredible students, teachers, and leaders that simply by association I was being changed into the best version of myself.

Please provide a brief summary of your career path since graduating.

Since graduating from McCombs I’ve had a colorful career path. First, I fulfilled a long-time dream and moved to the Caribbean to work as a SCUBA Diving Instructor in the Bahamas and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Then I moved to Nashville to become an artist and worked a day job in real estate marketing while I started my side hustle selling paintings. Real estate agents quickly became my first collectors!

After three years I left my job and started working for myself as a marketing consultant so I could have more time to pursue art. Then out of the blue, I was recruited for an editor position at The Tennessean and continued building my resume as a creative consultant and community leader. In the past five years, my career has exploded with speaking opportunities, coaching work, and art collaborations. Now I help my clients overcome creative blocks in an online course I designed called Create & Flow. I work with individuals and groups to increase creative performance with emotional wellness.

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

I am the most proud of the resilience I’ve developed. Anything truly is possible if you can take the risk to bet on yourself. It’s so freeing to live day to day knowing you’re successful even if you fail, because you know how to rise up every time.

Has your career played out the way you expected?

My career has in no way worked out how I expected. That’s the beauty of life… Every new experience led to the next and that kept guiding me forward. I didn’t know I was meant to be a speaker until after I’d been leading a community of artists for years. I didn’t know I was going to become a painter or a stand-up comic. I let my spirit guide me and that process continues to surprise me in the most delightful ways.

What are your goals for the future, career wise and in relation to McCombs?

I would love to collaborate with McCombs and the university as a whole to teach how creative performance and emotional intelligence are linked. I would love to add McCombs as a collector and install artwork in the school permanently. I would simply love to connect with the students, answer their questions, and inspire them to believe in their own unique voice and ideas.

Any other community involvement, hobbies or tidbits you’d like to share?

To connect with me on my mission to encourage creators to create, follow me on social media for new videos, posts, and offers. Send me a DM, I’d love to connect with you!