Suzie Gallehugh, BBA ’99 and internationally-renowned designer of the Suzanna Dai jewelry line, shared with us about how her time at McCombs influenced her worldview. She also gives us an update on her successful career path into the world of fashion design. 

Tell us about your experience as a student here at McCombs.

I came to McCombs because I wanted to study international business, but I ended up majoring in marketing.  I am more liberal-arts minded, so I think marketing was the closest major available at the time to match my mindset.  However, I learned a lot in the core business classes that I didn’t think I needed at the time, but later turned out to be very helpful in starting a business – for example accounting.  I remember one international marketing class in particular that I was really engaged in – the curriculum had to do with cultural differences in doing business, and I found it very interesting.

How did your educational experience change you?

I think the most influential part of my education was spending a semester abroad through the CIBER exchange program.  I studied at ESCP in Paris, France, and it was educational in ways far beyond the classroom.  It was the first time in my life I had really traveled abroad, and I got an opportunity to go to Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, and Germany while I was there.  I learned skills there that helped me later when I moved to NYC, and those same skills facilitated my future travels to India, Africa, southeast Asia, etc.  The economy is only getting more global the further we move into the future – we are all interconnected, and I believe having the experience of living abroad is a necessity these days for a well-rounded education and career.  I strongly encourage everyone who can to study abroad and get exposed to other cultures and ways of working/thinking.

Please provide a brief summary of your career path since graduating.

After graduating in December 1999, I briefly worked for Compaq in Houston while saving money to spend the summer traveling before moving to NYC to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), to study clothing design.  I graduated in May 2000 with an AAS in fashion design and went on to intern for couture designer Ralph Rucci.  Shortly thereafter, I was hired at the Alexander Doll Company, where I designed clothes for their line of high-end fashion dolls.  I then moved on to design the beading/embroidery layouts and prints for the dress division at Jones New York, where I was also responsible for sourcing trims.  After a few years there, I went to work at KimSeybert, where I designed beaded placemats, table runners, napkin rings, and other high-end home and dining decor.  While working at Kim Seybert, I got the idea of making beaded jewelry similar to the way the placemats were made, and in July 2008 I went to India to find a manufacturer and get samples made.  I officially launched my brand Suzanna Dai in 2009, when I sold my first collection to Bergdorf Goodman.  At the same time, I did freelance design work for LOFT to supplement my income while I was launching my brand.  Since then, the Suzanna Dai brand has been featured in numerous magazines including being one of Oprah’s Favorite Things, has been worn by Michelle Obama, has done collaborations with the W Hotels & LOFT, and has been sold in top department stores and boutiques worldwide, including Nordstrom, Harvey Nichols, Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus, and Barney’s.  I’m now focusing on selling through my website.

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

I’m really proud of starting and running my business over the past 11 years with my own money and being profitable.  I did not have any outside help or funding, and I have really done it all on my own, through persistence and dedication.  I’m also proud that all of my designs are my own and that my business has integrity.  It’s also pretty amazing that Michelle Obama wore my earrings!

Has your career played out the way you expected?

From the age of ten or eleven I knew I wanted to be a designer, but I thought I would be making dresses.  I didn’t think I’d be making jewelry, but I discovered it’s a way to do all the intricate beadwork I love at a more accessible price, and it is more easily wearable.  It worked out well, and I’m glad I get to be creative.

How have you stayed involved with the school as an alumnus?

I recently attended an event for the MBA program, where I was invited to set up a booth with my products and attend a dinner.  Other than that, I have not stayed as involved as an alumnus of the business school in particular.

How have you personally benefitted from being a part of the network?

I can’t really think of a specific way I’ve directly benefitted from being an alum of the business school in my line of work.  However, I know the business school is very well respected across the globe, and I am proud to be a UT graduate.

What are your goals for the future, career wise and in relation to McCombs?

My goals for the future are to keep creating beautiful things, have a good work/life balance, and to expand to other categories – maybe even home décor.  I’d also be interested to mentor young designers or do consulting to help them launch their businesses.

Any other community involvement, hobbies, or tidbits you’d like to share?

Just that I love to travel and can’t wait until everyone is vaccinated and COVID settles down, so I can go somewhere abroad – it’s what inspires me the most!