This week Ben came across a great article about best practices for using the Out of Office messages. I recommend it for any of you who use Out of Office messages or who are considering it.

8 Tips for Using Outlook’s Out of Office Assistant

When Ben sent me this article, I was shocked to realize that we didn’t have a post on the blog about how to set up the Out of Office Assistant in Outlook, so here goes:

Set Up Out of Office in Outlook 2010

You can choose to schedule when your message will begin and end sending, and whether you send only to people inside your organization or whether you send to people inside your org and out.

1. Go to the File tab.
  2. Click on the Automatic Replies button.
  3. In the window that opens, select Send Automatic Replies.
  4. If you’d like to schedule your out of office message to start and stop automatically, check the Only send during this time range box. Set the start date and end date below.
  5. Select the Inside My Organization tab. In the box below, type and format the message you’d like people on the same exchange server to receive.
  6. Click the Outside my Organization tab. To send an Out of Office message to people outside your organization, check the Auto-reply to people outside my organization box. Type and format the message below. If you don’t want to send an Out of Office message to outside people, leave the box unchecked.
  7. When you’ve finished writing messages, click OK.

Set Up Out of Office in Outlook 2007

1. Go to the Tools menu and select Out of Office Assistant.
  2. Select Send out of office replies.
  3. If you’d like to schedule your out of office message to start and stop automatically, check the Only send during this time range box. Set the start date and end date below.
  4. Select the Inside My Organization tab. In the box below, type and format the message you’d like people on the same Exchange Server to receive.
  5. Click the Outside my Organization tab. To send an Out of Office message to people outside your organization, check the Auto-reply to people outside my organization box. Type and format the message below. If you don’t want to send an Out of Office message to outside people, leave the box unchecked.
  6. When you’ve finished writing messages, click OK.

Set Up Out of Office in Outlook Web Access

1. Log-in to Outlook Web Access.
  2. In the top right corner, click the Options button.
  3. In the left column, click Out of Office Assistant.
  4. Select Send out of office replies.
  5. If you’d like to schedule your out of office message to start and stop automatically, check the Only send during this time range box. Set the start date and end date below.
  6. In the box labeled Send an auto-reply once to each sender inside my organization with the following message, type and format the message you’d like people on the same Exchange Server to receive.
  7. To send an Out of Office message to people outside your organization, check the Auto-reply to people outside my organization box. Type and format the message in the box below.
  8. When you’ve finished writing messages, click OK.