The default view in Word 2007 is Print Layout, but I’ve heard from several people who prefer to work in Draft view. Changing the default view to Draft view is a two step process.
First, enable a document to be opened in Draft view.
- Close all but one of your Word documents.
- In Word, click on the Office button.
- Click on Word Options, located in the bottom right corner of the menu.
- Select Advanced in the left column.
- Scroll down to the General section (near the bottom) and check the box that says Allow opening a document in Draft view.
- Click OK.
Second, change your Word document to Draft view and close it. You should only have one Word document open.
- Click on the View tab.
- Click on the Draft view button.
- Save changes if necessary.
- Close the document.
The next time you open a Word document, it should open in Draft view.