Dom Serra is a new Career Consultant for the Master in Professional Accounting program. He is joining us after a consultative sales role in the private sector where he provided career coaching to job-seekers and strategic recruiting advice to Fortune500 companies. Prior to his career in consulting, Dom served as an officer in the U.S. Army. Learn more about Dom with the Q&A below, stop by the MPA Program Office to meet him in person, or email him directly at dominick.serra@mccombs.utexas.edu.

Dominic SerraTell us about yourself outside of work, Dom.
I love to travel and consider London, England a second home. I’ve lived in Texas for just about ten years now, and still enjoy exploring the state’s major metros and national parks. My biggest hobbies are remodeling homes and making furniture and décor out of salvaged materials.

What did you do before coming to UT-Austin?
Before joining Texas McCombs, I worked for Orion Talent, as a Senior Account Executive, where I discovered and secured job opportunities for military Veteran candidates. I developed and fostered relationships with America’s leading companies and provided strategic recruiting guidance on how to find, hire, and retain Veteran talent.

Why did you decide to work for Texas McCombs and the MPA program?
I worked in student life during my undergraduate and graduate courses of study and enjoyed every minute of it! I have been looking for the right opportunity to step back into higher education, and career services has given me the perfect platform to support McCombs students in their professional endeavors by leveraging my skills as a career consultant. I’m particularly excited to perform this role within the MPA program as I am fascinated by the field and enjoy learning about accounting practices that impact my own personal finances.

Dom & GaryWhy did you decide to move to Austin after leaving the Army?
I was stationed at Fort Hood about an hour north of Austin for my last four years in the Army. Austin quickly became my favorite place to escape to on the weekends because there was always something going on. I’m originally from the New York City area and I love being in places that offer a blending of diverse cultures. When I separated from the Army, Austin was the perfect location to start a new adventure in a fun and diverse city without a regular occurrence of blizzards!

What’s been your favorite part about the University of Texas so far?
I absolutely enjoy the energy of UT-Austin. I’ve missed the electrifying atmosphere of academia, but UT turns it up to a whole other level with its strong sense of community and school pride. It’s exciting to be a part of it!

Welcome to Texas McCombs, Dom!