The MPA Program Office is excited to welcome Derek John, who joined the team at the end of the fall semester as a Peer Career Consultant (PCC). As a PCC, Derek has already started helping MPA Career Services with many different projects and events.

We asked Derek a few things to get to know him….

• Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.
    I am from Coppell, Texas. I’ve lived there almost my entire life and I love it. I have two and half years of experience working in retail at American Eagle Outfitters. I am currently a 3rd year Integrated MPA student here at The University of Texas at Austin and will be graduating from the Financial Reporting & Assurance Track in May, 2019.
  • If you could have any kind of pet what would it be?
    I have two dogs and a cat back home. Their names are Cash, Cocoa, and Calico. I adore them and they are honestly my best friends. I can’t imagine having any other kind of pet.
  • As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
    I actually wanted to be a pro-basketball player as a child, but then I peaked at 5’10” and realized my basketball skills didn’t live up to the National Basketball League’s standards. My career goals then switched to becoming an architect, a physician, and now a businessman!
  • Choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
    I choose the age of 5 because nap times and recess were the greatest things ever.
  • If someone made a film about your life who would you want to play you?
    I would like Leonardo DeCaprio to play me in a film about my life. Humor, good looks, great acting skills. I don’t see a difference between me and him. I’m only kidding 🙂
  • Why are you excited to work with MPA students?
    MPA students are by far the most driven group of learners I know. Their deep level of professionalism and determination to do well inspires me to become the best person I can be. After all, what starts here changes the world.