Paid Internship and Semester Away Opportunity in New York City
NY Union Semester, a unique academic internship in New York City, is now accepting applications for the fall 2012 and spring 2013 semesters. This program is designed for students at your academic institution who are passionate about social justice. It combines academic scholarship and on-the-ground experience at organizations committed to progressive labor and social action.
The program includes
- A 32-hour/week internship at a labor union or a labor-affiliated organization in New York City
- Labor studies courses at the Murphy Institute at the City University of New York (CUNY) worth 16 credits for undergraduates and 12 credits for graduate-level students
- A certificate in Labor Studies from CUNY’s School of Professional Studies
- In-state tuition and a $1,900 scholarship
- A $210 weekly stipend and monthly unlimited-ride transit allowance plus
- Networking opportunities and the chance to experience New York City’s rich cultural and political life.
The Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a CUNY program established in the late 1990’s. Many of its graduates have gone on to become union or community organizers, researchers, labor lawyers or administrators at not-for-profit organizations. Most were referred to Union Semester by a contact at their home college or university.
NY Union Semester has a rolling admissions policy. Applicants who apply early are given priority consideration. Feel free to contact Naomi Fatt if you have any questions about the internship at 212-642-2075 or email@example.com.
Submitted by Paul Nabhan