Xinmiao’s Profile

Hometown: Spring, TX

MPA track:  Audit
Class status: Traditional MPA
Estimated Graduation Date: Summer 2012

Why did you choose to attend The University of Texas at Austin?

I chose to come here because UT Austin seemed to be the most welcoming of students (like me) who were interested in accounting but didn’t have a deep background in the work.  I was an English major and worked as an adjunct writing instructor before I decided to change careers.  Also, I really like Austin.
What do you want to do when you graduate from the MPA program?

I’ve developed interest in three particular accounting areas; they are 1) not-for-profit accounting and consulting 2) IT system audits and 3) public sector fund accounting.  I’m looking forward to writing about these topics.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

I like the outdoor lap pool at Gregory Gym, the museums (The Blanton Museum of Art and the Harry Ransom Center), and the make-your-own sushi shop inside the football stadium.  Sushi and football, who knew?

Where are your favorite places to go in Austin? What are your favorite things to do in Austin?

I like to haunt the local coffee shops and bakeries and am always on the prowl for new ones.  A dinner and movie at the Alamo Drafthouse is my ideal decompression activity.  Also, I love the farmers’ markets which are held downtown on 4th and Guadalupe every Saturday.  I could spend an entire morning there – grocery shopping, eating fresh (preservative-free!) tamales, strolling through crowds of people and pets.  Also, their eggs are so good, I wouldn’t get them from anywhere else.

What are your favorite free-time activities?

I am a big reader and love finding great stuff at used book stores.  I also enjoy the outdoors – hiking, camping, biking, etc.  I’ve been to Enchanted Rock a few times, and it’s really worth going if only to see the vastness (and lumpiness) of the rolling hill country.

Other interesting facts about you:

I’ve just recently started to run road races and would like to make my way to different parts of the country and maybe even the world doing that.  So far, I’ve run races in St. Louis, Providence, and El Paso, but I’m just getting started!
I am a short story enthusiast and am currently working as an editorial intern for a literary non-profit in the Austin area that publishes a quarterly short story collection.  I’m a big proponent of doing what you like and seeing where your varied experiences lead you.

One thought on “Xinmiao’s Profile”

1. I am so interested to your university life. I’m eager to being a student of UTA all the time. I’m a transfer student from English major to Accounting so that i’m still a freshman in my university. I’m earnest to be your friend after reading your survey about your university life. Can you give me any suggestion about appling this famous university.I expect your mail! THX and NICE TO MEET YOU! I hope you can get the life you expected.