Jonathan Grabert

Name: Jonathan Grabert

Hometown: Austin, TX

MPA Track: Managerial

Class Status: tMPA

Estimated Graduation Date: Summer 2014

Why did you choose to attend The University of Texas at Austin?

You just can’t underestimate the value of the reputation that UT provides. When I applied, I knew I was coming in to the best-rated program, and that rating is because I’ll get first-class instructors, outstanding courses, and active career services. The opportunities that come from a UT MPA are just unlimited.

Why did you choose the MPA program?

I came to UT from another school’s accounting master’s program. I opted to switch over because of UT’s reputation and the fantastic recruiting program that McCombs afforded. I chose accounting because I’m fairly numbers-minded and accounting gives a practical application of that. In addition, I find the evolution of accounting and the means by which it presents itself to be very interesting. It’s a system that’s grown and evolved over time based on the changing needs of the community.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

I’ve been spending a lot of time over in the eating area of the Student Activities Center. It’s right next to McCombs, has plenty of space to sit and plug in my phone or computer, and I can get some pretty decent food. I get bored pretty easily if it’s super quiet or nothing’s going on, and there are always people coming and going over there. (Though I also like feeding the squirrels just outside of the Blanton museum, too…)

Where are your favorite places to go and favorite things to do in Austin?

I’m a local, so even though I like to think I know Austin pretty well, I’m always finding new stuff around. Austin is a really incredible place to live. The Alamo Drafthouse will change how you see movies in general, but check out Master Pancake Theater. They do a live show making fun of movies, and it’s pretty incredible. I love Sugar Mama’s Bake Shop on South 1st. I go to a lot of bakeries, and they’re the best in town without a doubt.

Other interesting facts:

I have a couple extracurricular activities that I like to share. First, I love board games! I have a group called South Austin Game Night, and we meet up and play each week. I’ve gained a ton of practical skills from playing games, and Austin has an amazing gaming community. I organize a board game convention called Board Game Bash each year to bring Austin’s gamers together for a weekend. Second, I love karaoke! I work with National Karaoke League, which is competitive, team-based karaoke. It’s incredible the kinds of performances you can see there. People really get into it, and it’s barrels of fun.