Committing to a Career

two_pathsMany students leave their undergraduate studies with a job and either with or without a clue about what they want to be when they grow up. Let’s face it: few people know how they want to spend the rest of their lives (or at least the rest of their twenties) while they are in college. I recall it feeling something like a paralysis of opportunity – there were so many options that I didn’t know which to choose. So I, like many of my peers, worked aimlessly for a few years. I held jobs, but I didn’t have a career. I had bosses tell me that I could “make a career out of this” but I wasn’t quite ready to settle down. Sound familiar? The truth is, no one really knows the best way to choose a career, but we all make that choice whether by actively pursuing something or by passively taking the path of least resistance.

At some point, I decided that it was about time to take the bull by the horns, and the first step in that direction would be to pick a career. One. Ugh. I had conjured up some ideas in the past, but I had always grown out of being interested so I was skeptical of my ability pick a single career and stick with it for the rest of my life. To narrow my focus, I decided to build upon my strengths: I did well in Economics in college, so maybe something in the financial realm would be a good fit. Perhaps I could go for the CFA certification or get an MBA. I also remembered the CPA option and started looking more into it. When comparing the CPA to the CFA, I had heard that the former is as wide as the ocean but not as deep, while the latter is as deep but not wide. Learning that CPAs fill roles as diverse as CFO, Controller, Partner, Financial Advisor, and Consultant was what sealed the deal for me and satisfied my inability to commit.

As I learned more about becoming a CPA, I explored the options for getting the necessary education. MBA programs could do it, but specialized Master programs for Accounting cut down the time and expense. I applied to several programs and chose the one with the best array of career options. Even today I wonder if I can remain committed to this career path, but no matter what, I have a good start with a great job lined up after graduation. Sometimes, you just have to put one foot in front of the other one and accept that you probably know what you are doing and aren’t making a mistake. The Traditional MPA program at Texas has helped me put it all together and harness my energy towards starting a rewarding career that will rival that of many Law and MBA students.