The 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics are FINALLY here!!!

SochiIceshowAs a figure skating judge and former competitive figure skater, I am absolutely giddy with the arrival of the 2014 Winter Olympics. Already this year, the Olympics has been particularly riveting and the games have yet to begun.

However, figure skating events begin today, Thursday February 6. Starting today is the brand new figure skating team event where each country sends its strongest competitor across the four skating disciplines (Ladies, mens, pairs, and dance) and the team with the most points wins the gold. Due to my past, I know a lot about figure skating, but I know relatively little about this event. I will be learning about it with the rest of everyone else. I do know that the introduction of this team event has led into a very controversial US Olympic Figure Skating Team decision made by US Figure Skating.

Let’s go into more detail about that controversial decision, because it has definitely helped shape expectations about the upcoming competitions. Historically, the US Figure Skating National Championships serve as the Olympic qualifiers with the top two/three finishers at the event selected for the Olympic team, unless a top contender is injured and petitions to get on the team. But this is all historical. US Figure Skating has always maintained the right to not simply send the top two/three finishers and instead reflects on the skaters’ competitive histories during the decision making process. This happens to be the first year they have done so without a top contender being injured.

Here’s what happened: US Figure Skating decided to send the 4th place skater, Ashley Wagner (defending national champion), to the Olympics over the skater that placed third at nationals, Marai Nagasu (2010 Olympic pewter medalist). US Figure Skating defended their decision of adding Ashley Wagner to the Olympic team over Marai Nagasu based on her competitive record, which is more consistent than Marai’s has been over the past few years.

Sadly, the media hasn’t done the best job in illustrating how complicated the decision really was. All the articles I have read make Marai Nagasu the victim and Ashley Wagner the villain.

Don’t get me wrong, my heart breaks for Marai. She has worked so hard to improve her performance at this national championship in order to return to the Olympics. She is also the only US skater with Olympic experience. Bottom line, she got third.

On the other hand though, at the last Olympic qualifying national championships, Ashley Wagner placed third and didn’t get to go due to the fact the US could only send 2 skaters to the Olympics. Ashley won back the US’s ability to send three female skaters to Sochi based on her performance at the last World Championships. Ashley has also won multiple US national titles since the 2010 Olympics while Marai has been battling with growth spurts (and the inconsistent skating associated with growth spurts).

The individuals at US figure skating had a very difficult decision in front of them. Each of the individuals involved have a very thorough knowledge of the sport, a deep love of the sport, and did what they thought was the best for US Figure Skating. There was no malice in their decision, and I think their hearts broke just as much as Marai’s did. Unfortunately, only so many people can be sent to the Olympics, and the decision will always involve tears. At this point in time, it doesn’t matter if we agree with it or not. We have a US Olympic Team, and we need to be behind each and every one of them as they represent our country.

I’m sure I will have plenty more to say about the Olympics as they unfold. Until then… let the games begin!